Standard Of Ur: Defining What It Is And When It Was Discovered - With A Free Essay Review

Standard Of Ur: Defining What It Is And When It Was Discovered

Research the Standard of Ur, illustrated below. Where was it discovered? What is the object? What is represented on the object?

The Standard of Ur was an artifact found in Ur of Sumer of ancient Mesopotamia near Baghdad, present day Iran around 2600 B.C.E. The Standard of Ur was discovered in a grave above the shoulder of a man in the royal cemetery. The Sumerian article was considered to be a flag; hence it got its name from its discoverer, the Standard of Ur. The person who discovered it was Leonoard Woolley an excavator from London, he went for archaeological findings in the Ancient city of Ur. Woolley was not sure what its actual use was for, he assumed it was used as a flag and that back in 2600 B.C.E the used to put it on a pole and raise the flag. Others assumed also thought it to be an emblem of a king or a musical instrument covering according to Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology.

The Standard of Ur is made of lapis lazuli, an expensive stone used heavily during that time, and limestone another rock that the Sumerians depended on for structural art. It is a trapezoidal block which depicts a story, the story of war. The pictography of the story can be read bottom to the top, not from top to bottom. It is said that because of how heavy the soil was in the grave the 2 panels of the standard were joined closer together (The standard of Ur, British Museum). “The details of the pictography have helped archaeologists today to appreciate how the ancient Sumerians lived (Leonard).

The Standard of Ur is represented in many ways, it symbolizes many things. The use of it may not be specifically defined but its symbols give way to all the things it was meant to represent. Artistically it represents the time of 2600 B.C.E in Sumer and how they characterized themselves as a city. The use of intricate detail and manhood was the integrity of ancient Mesopotamia. There are two sides on the trapezoid block, the war side and the peace side. For example, the pictures on the war side of the trapezoid tell the story of a strong ruler who has won a war. After the victory, he and his men capture all the men from the opponent and they torture them, torture in the sense that the king was running over the prisoners with his chariot. And then the prisoners are marched on by the king’s men. On the other side, the peace side, a great big feast is shown with the king and his men rejoicing, and making a toast (J. H. Crouwel and Mary A. Littauer). They also show a lyre being played on the peace side, the instrument was very fond to Sumerians, and they had it at all receptions during that time.

For the war side, it is said that the rulers of Sumerians would do things in respect to their deities. One deity was appointed to each city or state. So the rulers were pretty much Gods to the underclassmen. If the rulers wanted to go to war for no reason, they would act it out as though the deity wanted. Of course back in that time, it was not considered fake, the ruler in fact was acting according to what the deity wanted. For the peace side, if the ruler was making the deity happy and doing everything right then he was rewarded. The ruler and the people were rewarded with fertility of land.

Citations

“Leonard Woolley.” New World Encyclopedia. New World Encyclopedia Contributors. Paragon House Publishers. 4 April 2008. Web. 19 June 2012.

“The Standard of Ur.” The British Museum. Web. 19 June 2012.

“The Standard of Ur.” Iraq’s Ancient Past: Rediscovering Ur’s Royal Cemetery. University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. Web. 19 June 2012.

J. H. Crouwel and Mary A. Littauer. "Chariot." Grove Art Online. Oxford Art Online. 19 June 2012. Web. 14 January 2004.

___________________________

This seems to be not so much an essay as it is a list (a relatively desultory list) of factual claims about an artifact; I'm sorry to say, therefore, that there is very little I can say about it beyond the fact that the writing is not as clear as it needs to be. Some of the problems affecting the clarity are obvious enough and it is no challenge to reconstruct your intended meaning. (In the following, a misplaced modifier here has peculiar results: "The Sumerian article was considered to be a flag; hence it got its name from its discoverer, the Standard of Ur" - presumably, the discoverer was not named "The Standard of Ur," as this sentence suggests.) The meaning of the following sentence, by comparison, is completely opaque: 'The use of intricate detail and manhood was the integrity of ancient Mesopotamia." Aside from that sentence, the most confusing part of the essay is the last paragraph. I don't know what you mean by "for the war side." When you say "it is said," I don't know who is responsible for saying what is said, and I don't know whether what is said relates in any way to what is on the "war side" of the standard. Generally, in your last paragraph, I'm unsure whether what you’re saying has something to do with the standard or is just general history of ancient Sumer. You also do not document the source of the claims that you make there.

Submitted by: amfakh17

About amfakh17