Students Should Always Question What They Are Taught Instead Of Accepting It Passively - With A Free Essay Review

Prompt: "Students should always question what they are taught instead of accepting it passively. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position."

I agree with the statement that students should always question what they are taught instead of accepting it passively, because questioning established theories and exploring unknowns helps drive the advance of society, because the knowledge we are taught may not always be right, and because being able to think critically is crucial for people’s life.

First of all, the history of mankind is full of examples of people who questioned established notions and challenged authority, and their contributions are recognized. For instance, the biologist Charles Darwin came up with the theory of evolution, suggesting the evolution from ape to human. At that time, people widely accepted or took it for granted that God created the world. Although the religious notion was prevalent at that time, Darwin threw the doubt, and was skeptical about the religous notion based on fossil records. Another example is Copernicus. He proposed a sun-centered theory, while the religious notion advocated earth-centered theory.

Moreover, students should always question what they are taught instead of accepting it passively because textbooks are not aways right. Even the most authorized and credential textbooks keep revising themselves with new editions over time, because knowledge is updating. Many scientists and philosophers are constantly publishing new findings proving some old knowledge or theories are wrong. Thus, when students read textbooks, they should actively acquire knowledge and be skeptical about the knowledge presented on textbooks.

Finally, questioning what we are taught can help us develop the ability of critical thinking and processing received information. This is a very crucial skill for a student. For instance, we accept a lot of information from various sources. Do we believe all of them? No. We do not go to buy a new car because the commercial tells us a specific car is the best. We process all information we received, and critically accept some of them.

To sum up, I agree that students should question what they are taught, because questioning established theories and exploring unknowns drive the advance of society, the knowledge we are taught many not always be right, in addition, it can help us develop an ability of critical thinking.

_________________________

Your first argument is that history is "full of examples of people who questioned established notions" and you give Darwin and Copernicus as examples. You don't specify, however, how this argument relates to your agreement with the claim that "students should always question what they are taught." Even if your real argument were not more interesting than "students should question because Darwin questioned and had success," you should still make that argument explicit. It would probably also be a good idea to acknowledge that history is also full of examples of people who questioned established notions and were wrong to do so (wrong in the sense that the established notions were correct).

Your second argument is much clearer because it is articulated explicitly: students should always question because textbooks can be wrong. And your final argument is also reasonable: students should question because questioning helps them acquire the skill of critical thinking.

None of these arguments, however, directly addresses or supports the specific, strong version of the original claim: students should _always_ question what they are taught. The essay also doesn't consider any of the possible ways in which it might be disadvantageous for a student to constantly question what she is taught. The essay therefore appears a bit one-sided. Even if you think the arguments that might be made against the proposition that students should always question what they are taught are not compelling arguments, it would still be a good idea to acknowledge those arguments, and to explain if need be what you think is wrong with them.