To Understand The Most Important Characteristics Of A Society, One Must Study Its Major Cities - With A Free Essay Review

Instructions: "Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position."

In order to understand the most outstanding features of a society, we need not only study its major cities, but also marginal ones. Otherwise, we have no idea whether the characteristics we conclude from analysis of major cities are common in non-major ones or not.

Basically, the most important characteristics of a society must be possessed by the majority of the entire country. If we only study major cities, we can’t exclude the possibility that what the characteristics displayed by major ones don’t belong to non-major ones. Therefore, we need to ensure the features seen by the study are contained in other places.

In addition, we also need to identify what major really means. Typically, major cities are the ones outstanding in terms of economy, politics, or culture. So in an effort to get a full picture of what a society is like, we had better first select the three most representative cities respectively in economic, political, and cultural areas. Secondly, randomly pick up three or more other distant uptowns that are weak at economy, politics, or culture respectively as control.

By comparing two completely different kinds of areas, we can make sure the characters we discover from major cities do exist in other places. Only then can we make a conclusion that those characteristics are the most important ones of a society. If the features we conclude from the major cities do not belong to other areas, they are at best the features of the major cities.

_____________________________

I agree that it would be helpful to compare major cities with other regions in order to be certain that what one sees in the cities is an important characteristic of society as a whole, but unfortunately your argument in that respect is largely beside the point. The original statement does not suggest that one can understand the most important characteristics of a society by attending _only_ to the major cities. That is what you seem to assume the original statement implies, however, and that misunderstanding of the original statement here causes you to neglect the actual issues relevant to discussing the "ways in which the statement might or might not hold true."

The statement only implies that one must study the major cities, not that one can get away with only studying the major cities. So really the question is whether it is possible to understand the most important characteristics of a society without studying the major cities. Your essay does not really begin to answer that question. Your essay also devotes significant attention to outlining a procedure by which one might arrive at a reasonable understanding of the characteristics of a society. Whatever the value of that procedure, your GRE test reader would regard it as not responsive to the prompt and therefore irrelevant. They take their prompts mighty seriously down ETS way.

Submitted by: astalayista

Astalayista
+1

I'm sorry to make a tangential response on that topic. Thanks to you for pointing out my mistakes. I'm much grateful for that. In the next coming days, I'm going to rewrite this issue again. And hope this time I won't let you down.
June,29 2012