The Best Way To Teach Is To Praise Positive Actions And Ignore Negative Ones - With A Free Essay Review

Prompt: "The best way to teach is to praise positive actions and ignore negative ones. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position."

Positive feedback usually encourages people and helps them build up confidence. Although appreciation and positive feedback play a very important role in bringing up children, I disagree that negative actions should be ignored.

First of all, pointing out inappropriate behaviors during teaching is crucial because it tells a child or student what is right or wrong. It is very important for children and students to realize what is appropriate to do. If no one ever tells a child it is wrong when he steals money or hurts others, it would be conceivable that he would keep doing it without realizing it is wrong to do so. It can be very serious in cases such as hurting others and stealing things, which sometimes are against law. Then, the child will eventually pay the price. However, this could be prevented if parents or teachers point out children’s misbehaviors right away, and tell them certain things are wrong.

In addition, pointing out negative aspects of people’s actions can help people refine their work. For instance, say an engineer designs a car model, and there are some flaws in his design. It would be very beneficial if other co-workers can points out these flaws, so the designer knows there are some potential problems in his design and can further try to refine the model. Pointing out negative aspects of people’s actions can help them refine their work

However, I agree that positive feedback plays important role in helping children build their confidence. Sometimes when a child does something right, and parents or teachers give him positive feedback, then, the child would be happy and keep doing things in the right way. Furthermore, when a child fails in some work, such as exams or competitions, the child may be very frustrated and wants to give up. It would be very helpful if parents can give the child some positive feedback to make him feel better, and further encourage him to try again. The positive feedback makes a child more confident, and believes that his efforts are recognized and appreciated.

Although I agree praising positive action is very important and can help people build up their confidence, I disagree that negative actions should be ignored, because point out negative actions can teach people what is right or wrong, and help them refine themselves.

_______________________________________

I would recommend articulating a specific thesis statement in your introduction, which in this case would entail replacing the final phrase of your first paragraph with: "I think negative actions should not be ignored because X." I would also recommend that you focus just on teaching in the usual sense. While there are many actions that one could call instances of teaching in general, the word "to teach" typically names the activity undertaken by a teacher in a classroom, and it would probably be most appropriate here either to focus on that activity, or explicitly announce that you are looking at teaching in the broader sense of "giving advice" or "giving feedback." I don't really see the value in doing the latter, however; that is to say, I think you take an unnecessary risk in talking, as you do in your third paragraph, about the importance of "pointing out negative aspects of people's actions" in a work setting, when the same point could be made in a discussion of an example from the classroom.

Your first argument is that pointing out inappropriate behavior is "crucial because it tells a child or student what is right or wrong." That argument is essentially tautological (in that you are not saying much more than “telling children what’s wrong tells them what’s wrong”), but you develop it a couple of sentences later: if one doesn't point out negative actions, it is "conceivable that [a child] would keep doing it without realizing it is wrong." That is a reasonable argument, but I think you weaken the general claim that you want to make (it is right to point out negative actions) by supporting it with an extreme specific case (where the negative action is potentially illegal). This is where it would be helpful, I think, to focus on the classroom setting that is primarily envisioned by the prompt. There are all kinds of actions that can be identified as "negative" in a classroom (doing something incorrectly, not being attentive, failing to complete an assignment, making an error in an essay, and so on). So, for example, should one praise the child who is attentive or complain about the child who is inattentive? Should one reward an assignment completed well or punish one executed poorly? Obviously one issue here concerns how a teacher should communicate knowledge of what is a positive action and what is a negative action to a student. What you need to discuss, in that case, is whether specifically identifying negative actions is the only way of communicating such knowledge, and if it is not, whether other ways of doings so are more effective from a pedagogical standpoint. What can also be discussed, and in response to this essay should probably be discussed, is whether there might be negative consequences to pointing out negative actions (for instance, if praise helps build confidence, as you claim in your penultimate paragraph, does censure dampen confidence?). Remember that these prompts are designed purposely with the idea that reasonable people could agree or disagree with them. The obvious point here is that pointing out negative actions provides the student with valuable information. Given that obvious point, you should ask yourself, Why then would a reasonable person still think that it might be a good idea to ignore negative actions?