The Most Effective Way To Understand Contemporary Culture Is To Analyze The Trends Of Its Youth - With A Free Essay Review

The most effective way to understand contemporary culture is to analyze the trends of its youth. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

The statement strives to make an extremely strong connection between the contemporary culture and the trends of its youth. Contemporary culture is a very broad and complex concept that is hard to be understood thoroughly. By only studying the trends of its youth, one cannot understand this culture completely.

It is essential to grasp the elements of the contemporary culture from studying the youths, since they are creating today’s culture with motivation and gifts. Our own experience can explain why they have the incentives. Just becoming independent and limited by the experiences, the youths are excluded from the think tanks which can cast profound influence on the society and cultures. But to establish themselves, they are still eager to have a share of the culture piece that are originated or dominated by their own. We can feel their sense of proud when talking about “their” facebook, “their” internet commercializing idea, and “their” new pop star Justin Bibber. Besides the intentions, they are also at their golden time to create the culture. Adolescence is the only time when one could be so free of mind burden, so spurred by the latest knowledge from school and so focusing without any distraction from life. It is then easy to understand why they are so successfully dominating the cultural life by creating Apple, Google, and Facebook, overturning the traditional culture definition of media. Because the young people are so keen and talented culture creators, undoubtedly one can reap harvest by looking for contemporary culture elements created in their realm.

Not only being creators, the youths also accept and carry the important concepts of the modern culture. This is another reason pointing to youth trends as the key to understand the modern culture. They are very open-minded and hence easy to be influenced by the latest culture. Globalization for example is an indispensable part of modern culture. This idea permeates all aspects of social life, tinting the young people most. Looking at the growing popularity of foreign language schools and tutors, surrounding by increasing number of multilingual young people who are embracing life of flying between different continents and bridging the different culture, one can easily identify the globalization elements of new culture. The example illustrates that by watching youths’ movements, one could easily capture leading theme of today’s culture.

However, it is still too hasty to conclude that the culture elements extracted from the young population make the whole of the modern culture. Contemporary culture, as any other human society characteristics, could never be fully understood without looking at the inheritance part which is hardly captured by the ever-changing trends of the youth. As mentioned before, a key premise hiding behind the blossom of the youth-dominant culture is that they are mostly precluded from lots of serious culture topic such as political culture. We barely find the contribution from the young generation, when thinking of the bi-partisan political regime. Behind the political system is the key culture element of democracy, born with the existence of the United States. It determines the three-pillar structure of the government, could never be neglected from the contemporary political culture. Instead of studying youth trends, tracing back to the history in this case would be a more efficient way to deepen the understanding of current culture.

Social modern culture is such a rich concept, covering all aspects of human society ranging from language, cooking style, dress code, political and economic system, etc. Its dynamic and extension part, nurtured by the tireless participation of the youth, is efficient to understand from the young rhythm. But to effectively comprehend the profound inheriting piece of the modern culture, retracing the history should be a more direct way.

____________________________________

Thank you for submitting your revision. Unfortunately, you are still trying too hard to write sophisticated prose with complex syntax and interesting vocabulary, but your mastery of the English language is not yet such that you can pull this off. For example, in the penultimate sentence, which I choose only because it happens to be in front of me as I write, I don’t know what “dynamic and extension part” is supposed to refer to; “efficient to understand” makes no sense; and I don’t understand what “the young rhythm” is supposed to be. In the last sentence, what you mean by “profound inheriting piece” is unclear.

Here’s another example of how you write, this time from the second paragraph: “Because the young people are such keen and talented culture creators, undoubtedly one can reap harvest by looking for contemporary culture elements created in their realm.”

Here’s how you should write such a sentence: “One can learn about contemporary culture from the young because the young are culture creators.”

That’s the argument of your second paragraph. The argument of your third paragraph is that young people are open-minded and influenced by “the latest culture.” And your fourth paragraph refers to something you call the “inheritance part,” and perhaps you mean “inherited part” (parts of culture that are inherited from the previous generation?). So the argument of the fourth paragraph would seem to be that there are aspects of culture that don’t involve young people (but then why not say “there are aspects of culture that don’t involve young people” instead of “a key premise hiding behind the blossom of the youth-dominant culture is that they are mostly precluded from lots of serious culture topics”?).

All of these argument are reasonable enough, but if the sentences with which you articulate these arguments are too complex, the arguments themselves perhaps are not complex enough. We are concerned here with the most effective way to understand contemporary culture as opposed to, say, understanding the culture of an earlier generation. The question is about who and what defines contemporary culture. Why might someone think that examing the trends of the young would be more beneficial or more “effective” than examining the trends of, say, middle-aged folk? Would such a person think that is true in every case (e.g., in countries where culture tends to be static as well as in countries where culture changes all the time)? One of the strengths of your essay is that it at least implicitly recognizes that the answer to the question depends on how one defines “contemporary culture” (in which case, one really ought to say that the answer to the question does in fact depend on how one defines “contemporary culture”) but of course the answer could also depend on the nature of the society one is examing, or on the nature of the youth in that society (on whether they are engaged in society or not; on whether their cultural values are grounded in the prevailing values of society, or whether they are ideologically idiosyncratic or even revolutionary, or whether their beliefs and values are trivial and transitory, a matter of fashion rather than conviction).

For example, let’s assume, as you do, that contemporary culture comprises a manifold of different “aspects of human society” including “political” culture. Presumably it is not the case always and everywhere that the young are excluded from political culture. During times of war, when the young are sent off to war, or times of crisis, when the future seems bleak, the level of political engagement might differ markedly from the level you might find in times of peace and stability. But even in the latter case, the political parties need to be wary of the young, who may tend to be more idealistic, less compromising, more radical, less fearful of change and so on. When middle-aged suburbanites revolt you get something like the modern American tea-party movement (which is really just a minor off-shoot of traditional party politics). What happens when the young revolt? Sometimes you get violent protests, war on the streets, even regime-change (Paris 68, Tiananmen, Arab Spring, and so on).

I’m going to stop rambling on now.

Submitted by: sicong

About sicong