Claim: We Can Usually Learn Much More From People Whose Views We Share - With A Free Essay Review

Claim: We can usually learn much more from people whose views we share than from those whose views contradict our own. Reason: Disagreement can cause stress and inhibit learning. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reason on which that claim is based.

The author claims that we usually learn more from those who have similar ideas with us. One possible reason is that disagreement can cause stress and inhibit learning. Surely, having different views could lead to arguments or debates and people tend to be reluctant to accept opinions different from themselves. However, the reasoning ignores benefits we could get from disagreements. As far as I am concerned, we can also learn from people holding different ideas.

Debating is a very useful way to make people consider a problem deeply. Actually, through debating we can get more comprehensive and clearer understanding about the issue from different angles. In this way, we could even learn more from both sides of debaters. For example, for the issue whether the school should build a new canteen for students, some people suggest the school establish a new canteen because the current one is not good enough, while others worry that the new canteen would not attract many students. Even though, the final decision is to build the canteen, the manager would also consider how to attract more students, which is a result of taking suggestions from opponents. Therefore, from different opinions, we could learn much more about the issue from different angles.

Additionally, disagreement would spirit our ideas. Just imagine if you expressed your opinion and everyone agreed with you even if you have obvious mistakes; you will never realize and correct your errors. However, if somebody had different ideas, the disagreement will naturally lead you to consider whether there were any holes or anything unclear in your ideas. Thus, you are able to strengthen your idea. In that way, people with different ideas actually encourage us to think more comprehensively and deeply.

It is doubtless that in some cases, disagreement would cause stress and decrease the efficiency of learning. For some ideas which are considered as common senses, the different ones would sound useless. Besides, sometimes people hold different ideas because of their own statuses. People hold ideas that are exclusively beneficial to their own social and ethnic groups. That may lead policies even more hard to be set and implemented and would lead to stress. In this situation, the politics need to consider the majority’s and the nation's benefit in the long run.

It is unfair to claim that people would learn more from agreement. Arguments should be discussed case by case. On the one hand, disagreement would help people analyze issues more comprehensively; on the other hand, people holding different ideas that could maximize their own benefit would not be easy to reach an agreement with.

_________________________________

What a god-awful prompt!

You claim in your first paragraph that “we can also learn from people holding different ideas.” Note that this claim does not contradict the original claim or imply any questioning of the reason on which it is based. The original claim is that we can _usually_ learn _more_. Your claim would be a valid criticism only if the original claim were that we can _only_ learn from people whose views we share.

The second paragraph is a bit dull and laborious. I don’t think the “canteen” example sheds any significant light on the claim, but since the example is the only support for the claim (i.e., you don’t support it with a reason), the claim is not a very strong one.

In the third paragraph, I don’t know what you mean by “spirit our ideas” (perhaps you mean “inspire”) but the basic argument that we can improve or strengthen our ideas by exposing them to challenges is reasonable.

In the fourth paragraph, you claim that sometimes people hold views that reflect their status, but beyond that I’m afraid I don’t quite follow what you want to argue. The last two sentences of the paragraph are almost opaque.

In the final paragraph, the use of the word “unfair” seems inappropriate; perhaps you mean “wrong.” The claim you find “unfair” is, in any case, not the claim that is given in the prompt. The final sentence of that paragraph is a much clearer articulation of the point that you presumably wanted to make in the penultimate paragraph. It’s still not clear, however, why you focus on the issue of agreement instead of learning.

Best, EJ
Submitted by: hellojune

About hellojune