Colleges And Universities Should Require Their Students To Spend At Least One Semester Studying In A Foreign Country - With A Free Essay Review

Prompt: “Colleges and universities should require their students to spend at least one semester studying in a foreign country. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.”

Want to become globally competent? Then internship in foreign countries will surely help you. In today’s world of highly competing students, exposure to foreign countries will definitely get them to know about the skills required to become a world class professional, how to react to a new culture, how to adapt to new working environment etc. To raise the skills to international standards, it is inevitable for a student to study in foreign university. I completely agree with the author’s view but has also failed to analyze certain hidden characteristics.

Every student wants to be in par with the skills required for global standards to achieve great heights. For such students, study in foreign university will boost their skills. Let us take an instance. Some of my classmates were sent to do internship in university sains Malaysia, one of the leading universities in Malaysia. After completing their internship in Malaysia, they have become globally competent and we were no close to the skills they had empowered. They were recruited by IBM and also they were the only students who were selected among the 200 eligible students.

On the contrary, every student can’t afford to study in foreign country. Also not every student will have the interest to study in a foreign university. If coercively such students are made to study in a foreign university, then there is serious threat to the university’s reputation as these students will dabble in their internship. These students will not learn anything new and also will harm the company’s reputation. This is the case for an iota of students.

To become globally competent, it is essential for students to study in foreign universities to raise their skills to international standards. The author’s prompt will be applicable for a myriad of students. Even though there are minor negatives, since benefits outweigh disadvantages, I completely agree with the author’s view.

_____________________________________

The essay begins with an informal tone that is certainly unnecessary and probably inappropriate. The opening paragraph also makes claims that are not supported or elaborated in the essay, which is unfortunate because those are the most relevant claims in the essay to the task of assessing the original statement.

The second paragraph is vague with respect to its main claim (“study in a foreign university will boost [a student’s] skills”). You need to specify here the skills that you think will be improved and explain why you think they will be improved. You ought to do this before offering an illustrative example. The example then ought to illustrate precisely how the experience of studying abroad helped the students you mention acquire the specific skills that you claim such an experience allows students to acquire. You don’t do that, however; you instead merely assert that the experience in fact allowed the students to “become globally competent,” but you don’t explain what that really means or what specific role studying abroad played in the students’ acquisition of that competence.

In the next paragraph you consider the possible disadvantages of adopting the recommendation. You note that not every student can afford to study in a foreign country, but don’t explain how that consideration affects your position. You note also that some students will not be interested in studying abroad, but you dismiss this consideration on the basis that there would be very few such students (a fact that you merely assert). I don’t understand why you end up in that paragraph talking about internships and a “company’s reputation”; the recommendation concerns “studying in a foreign country” not doing an internship for a foreign company.

Submitted by: mahen

About mahen