Issue 12 Governments Should Offer A Free University Education - With A Free Essay Review

Prompt: “Governments should offer a free university education to any student who has been admitted to a university but who cannot afford the tuition. Write a response in which you discuss your views on the policy and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider the possible consequences of implementing the policy and explain how these consequences shape your position.”

I agree that governments should help those students who have been admitted to a university but cannot afford the tuition. But does it mean that governments should offer a free university education? I would like to keep my attitude reserved. The reason why I agree the government should help those students is clear, just as most people thought, that government needs all kinds of professional to work hard in their fields, and with them the country will thrive and keep on growing strong. The student who has received the admission from a university means that he or she has the ability and potential to study and perhaps can develop a brand new appearance in the future. Unfortunately, the student cannot afford the tuition, thus he cannot attend the university to have a further specific study, and this might be the loss of the government. Therefore, I agree that the government has to help those students who have the potential but have financial difficulty. However, I do not quite agree that government should pay the tuition for those students. Although the government is necessary to cultivate talents, offering a free university education does not seem a good method to achieve the goal. There might be other unnecessary problem produced. For example, some people might pretend that they are poor, cannot afford the tuition and want to have a free education. This problem will not only bother government but also be unfair to those students who really need help. Besides, the government actually does not know whether the students’ performance will be in the future, what if they do not cherish the opportunity to attend university, and do not act serious on the university education? This would be a waste of the government’s merit. In conclusion, I agree that government should help those students who have the ability to attend college but cannot afford the tuition, but how to help them needs more detailed consideration and I do not think the solution is that simple as the issue mentioned that the government should offer a free university education.

____________________________

You suggest that governments should help students, but not by way of offering free education, and devote the first half of the essay to explaining why governments should help. That half of the essay, however, contributes little to the discussion of the policy proposed. In order to make it relevant, you would need to articulate an explicit argument about why your proposal is better than the given proposal, and to do that, of course, you would need to specify what kind of help you think governments should offer students who cannot afford tuition. The focus of the essay, however, should be a discussion of your reasons for rejecting the policy proposed in the prompt and your discussion of that is too brief and underdeveloped. Your first argument is that the policy might produce unwanted problems, and you give the example of students pretending to be poor. I think that example skirts the issue. The question is whether students who in fact cannot afford tuition should have that tuition paid by the government. That’s the question you need to discuss. For the purposes of the argument, you can assume that it is possible to identify students who cannot afford tuition (and in most case, of course, it is possible). The second argument that you make is more to the point: students may not perform well in university, so it may be a waste of government resources. The general question of whether the policy would be a waste of government resources is a reasonable one to address, but you cannot address it in a single sentence.

Submitted by: realfish

About realfish