The Best Way To Teach Is To Praise Positive Actions And Ignore Negative Ones - With A Free Essay Review

Prompt: “The best way to teach is to praise positive actions and ignore negative ones. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.”

I agree with the part of statement that states that we should praise the positive and that is the best way to teach but I do not agree with ignoring negative actions. When you teach someone about something, it means that they are not an expert in the subject and they have come to you seeking help in understanding. There is a lot of possiblities that they make a lot of mistakes initially. If those mistakes are just ignored and they are only appreciated for their positive actions then they would never know their negative actions and they would never be able to correct their mistakes and better themselves.

It is important to know that teaching involves both praising positive actions and pointing out negative actions. In fact, it is the duty of the person who teaches to take more care on the negative actions of their students and help them in getting better or help them in rectifying the mistakes they made. If the students' negative actions are ignored, then they would not even know that what they did was not correct and hence there is no posibility of them becoming any better. Instead, since they receive appreciation for their positive actions, it might get worse and they might do a lot of negative actions not knowing that it is not correct.

There are various examples to show that ignoring negative actions is not the best way of teaching. When the students at school are not notified about their mistakes and teachers just ignore their mistakes, this would encourage them to make more mistakes, be it in studies or their behavior. This applies to various examples from a criminal being punished for his wrong doing to an employee making mistakes in his/her work on initial days of his/her career.

In conclusion, I agree that praising positive actions is beast practice in teaching but ignoring negative ones is not. Negative actions must be pointed out and the ways of handling them has to be taught, which is the best way of teaching.

_________________________________

I think you really only have one argument here spread a bit thinly over three paragraphs. That argument is that in the absence of criticism of negative actions, a student will not know that it has made mistakes and so will be be doomed to repeat them. That’s a reasonable argument, although I am not convinced of its truth. If a teacher consistently praises positive actions and ignores negative actions, I think there is a reasonable chance that the student will pick up on the fact that the negative actions are not being praised, and will therefore arrive at an understanding that those actions are not as good as the positive actions. They will do this without being subject to actual criticism, and it may be that subjecting a student to negative criticism is detrimental to the performance of some students.

This latter point is one of the issues that your essay doesn’t address. You need to ask yourself, then, why anyone would suggest ignoring negative actions in the first place. If the debate were as readily resolved as your essay suggests it can be, then it would not be worth having in the first place. So why might some be opposed to a teacher directly pointing out a negative action even if it is obvious that pointing out such action directly communicates to the student that she or he has made a mistake?

Submitted by: shree_2012

About shree_2012