Educational Institutions Have A Responsibility To Dissuade Students From Pursuing Fields Of Study In Which They Are Unlikely To Succeed- With A Free Essay Review

Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

Educational institutions play a pivotal role in the overall development of students. The role of educational institutions is to impart knowledge, mentor, and groom the students. It is also the institution’s responsibility, to make students aware of right and wrong for their future, along with keeping in mind their interests and abilities.

The right kind of guidance and counseling should be provided to students so that they could keep a balance between their interests and the fields that are going to benefit them the most. The other thing that plays a key role in student’s decision to pursue a field is their love for learning of that subject. This love is the major motivating factor that keeps them moving through the ups and downs of the student life. Further, learning without the want or love for that subject won’t help much in innovation and imagination. Thus, it’s the role of educational institutions to guide their students and make them understand the right balance between interests and benefits and let them take a decision of their own.

In today’s world diversification and growth can be seen in so many fields. Students, try to follow their dreams and reach out to less conventional fields of study like theatre, acting, dance, sports, painting, and photography. By following their dreams they are just following their love for knowledge and that leads them to success in life. Many examples can be quoted like: Saniya Mirza, a famous Indian tennis player. Priyanka Chopra, a famous bollywood actress. These people are successful today despite choosing fields like sports and acting over something like engineering or medicine.

Further, if educational institutions dissuaded students from pursuing their interests because they are unlikely to succeed in them, and would rather force the students to take more generalized fields of science and technology etc, the institutions would be simply stealing away the students’ dreams and their ability of innovation. To develop an interest in a field which is difficult to understand or capture your senses is tough. And to excel in such case is even tougher. This might lead to frustration for a student who is not able to perform well just because he is not able to develop an interest and would prefer to learn something else instead.

Hence, it is the responsibility of educational institutions to guide students regarding their choices, benefits and priorities and let them make a wise decision for themselves. Plus, in the world of knowledge, it is never too late to start learning something new. Learning is an ongoing process of life.

____________________________

I think you have misunderstood the prompt here, but you have also not followed the instructions. The claim is that educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed. The claim gives no indication of whether there are particular fields in which students in general are unlikely to succeed. It says nothing, in other words, about the relative difficulty of being successful in the arts as compared to the applied sciences. So one ought to imagine, for example, a student who wants to pursue engineering but lacks the mathematical ability just as much as one ought to imagine a student who wants to pursue music but is tone deaf. It seems to me, therefore, that your third paragraph, for example, misses the point of the original claim. You should be concerned not with people who “are successful ... despite choosing fields like sports and acting” but with people who are successful in those fields despite having initially no evident talent in those fields.

You can certainly argue that an educational institution has met its primary responsibility if it undertakes to do the kinds of things that you advise it should do in the first part of your essay, but you would still need to explain why such an institution would not also have the additional responsibility of dissuading students from pursuing a course of study in which they are unlikely to succeed. That fact should be clear from the instructions: “be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.” In your case, in which you want to argue that an institution does not have the responsibility to dissuade a student from pursuing a course of study in which he or she is unlikely to succeed, you must address the best arguments that could be made in favor of the original claim. Your essay does not do that. So think about what is likely to happen in the event that an institution does not dissuade students unlikely to succeed. How much time and money does the student possibly waste, for example?

Submitted by: swaticuteheart

Swaticuteheart
+1

Can I please get a review on this essay. All comments and critiques are welcome too.
June,05 2012

J.n24
+1

Elaborate more on how the institutions can fulfill this responsibility and throw a line specifically that you support the main topic. it gives more scope for introducing active voice. rest...grammar is no prob according to me..so is the vocab..ending is good..one should always add a proverb or quote whenever possible..it makes the essay sound good. GOOD WORK!! KEEP WRITING!! GOOD LUCK!!:)
June,05 2012