Educational Institutions Have A Responsibility To Dissuade Students From Pursuing Fields Of Study In Which They Are Unlikely To Succeed - With A Free Essay Review

I don’t agree with the statement that educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing field of study in which they are unlikely to succeed since these institutions does not have sufficient information to be able to fully guide the students. Even if they have the information they can not promise their prediction to happen due to many reasons that happen in future. In addition, even if they possibly have the information, it is not fair to decide for students or force them to do some thing.

First, are the educational institutions capable of dissuading students from field of study that they are unlikely to succeed? What information do they need to be capable of dissuading student from pursuing special field of study confidently? Do they have all that information? Future success of a student depends on many factors such as their capability of delivering the task as well as self- interest to improve in the field. Is it possible for educational institutions to gather all the information they need? Obviously not, this information is not even that easy to address by students themselves. This is because educational institutions cannot depict the affection of different factors on one’s interest. Suppose the educational institutions have access to all that information about students. But that is not enough, since many other factors can lead to defeat a student. For example, developing technology make some fields of study outmoded and useless. So even if the student is skilled enough and interested, he cannot succeed because there is no need of his skill in the market anymore. Educational institutions are never able to guaranty their advices, so it is not their responsibility to put push students to do what they think is right.

Second, let’s assume educational institutions are capable of dissuading students from fields of study in which they are not going to be successful. Is this fair though?

I guess not. Making restrictions for students to pursue fields of study that they are interested in is a violation of primal right, which is not desirable. Moreover, Educational institutions are there, to improve students at their own will not to obligate to pursue an unappealing field. Since the outcome of the effort that students put into the field of study they pursue is far different from when they have close interest with the field, we can imagine how great is the role of self-interest. Therefore, it is not advantageous to the whole society to force students to do what they are not interested in.

In a nutshell, educational institutions are not necessarily right institutions to fully guide their students in their path. Even if that is the case, these institutions should not confine students in specific fields based on their direction. Instead, they should provide students the right information and best suggestions about their field of study and left them free to choose.

______________________________________

The question presupposes that it is possible in principle to identify students who are unlikely to succeed in a given field of study. You can question that presupposition, but to do so is essentially to skirt the issue being raised in the prompt, so I would not advise devoting much time to such questioning. The issue is about responsibility. So you ought to consider possible reasons that might be offered in support of the contention that educational institutions have the specified responsibility and possible reasons that might be offered in support of the contention that they might not have that responsibility.

You don’t begin to do that until the second half of your essay, where you argue that “making restrictions for students” [by which you mean, I take it, something like “dissuading students”] is a “violation of primal right.” That’s an incomplete argument, however. You would need to explain why there is a right to pursue education even in fields in which one is unlikely to succeed, and why an effort to dissuade a student from pursuing such education would be a violation of that right.

Your second argument makes a claim about the purpose of educational institutions, which is a reasonable way to go about approaching the main issue, but you lose track of that main issue when you speak of institutions obligating students “to pursue an unappealing field.” That may seem like a consequence of dissuading a student from following a particular course of study, but it is not. For instance, part of dissuading a student might well involve suggesting that the study find something else that she is interested in and in which she is more likely to succeed.

Once you’ve considered the relevant issues here, you will find the essay a good deal easier to write. Begin by thinking about the negative consequences of a student pursuing a course of study that he ultimately fails. What kinds of resources (time, money, space, for example) are possibly wasted in that case. What impact does having a poorly prepared student have on the rest of the students? How would his presence impact the professor’s teaching? What does the student do at the end of his time in college? And so on. You can then possibly weigh those negative consequences against the possible “right” of the student to do whatever he please. Ultimately, however, it ought to be clear that a reasonable person might argue that, given the possible negative consequences, an educational institution (which potentially has something to lose, and should also be concerned about the future of the students it admits) would indeed have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing certain fields of studies. One might especially think that if one imagines an alternative situation in which the so-called educational institution only exists to get as much money as possible from the student and so doesn’t care whether the student ultimately succeeds or not, as is the case with “diploma mills.” Against that reasonable person, you might then reasonably argue: No, it’s not the institution’s responsibility. Their responsibility is to provide the best education possible. It is the student’s responsibility to decide if he is up to the task of complete the course of study.

Submitted by: Hani

About Hani