When Planning Courses, Educators Should Take Into Account The Interests And Suggestions Of Their Students - With A Free Essay Review

Prompt: “Claim: When planning courses, educators should take into account the interests and suggestions of their students. Reason: Students are more motivated to learn when they are interested in what they are studying. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reason on which that claim is based.”

I agree with the claim that students suggestions must be taken into account when planning courses. Even though students study the courses that they like, for eg. when a student chooses to do graduation in computer science it means that student is interested in that course, not all the areas that they are required to study interests them. If most students find those portions of course boring, then they might lose interest in the course that they chose out of their own interest. So if educators consider the interests and suggestions of the students and plan the course accordingly, then students would study with interest and would be motivated to learn more as they are given the option to pick what they are interested to study.

Additionally, when students are more interested in one area of the course and feel some other portions of the syllabus, that are equally important, boring. If, in this case, students’ suggestions are taken into account and the boring portion is removed from the syllabus then there would not be equal distribution of knowledge in that subject. So only those parts of the subjects that the students feel are not very interesting and the educators feel are not very important should be changed.

Finally, the ability to pick their course motivates students, true, but educators should also make sure students don’t take advantage of this option. When students find some portion of the course hard to study, they should not make use of this option and suggest that they would like to study some other topics that are just easy for them to study. So when listening to students' suggestion and before taking them into account, the educators should examine and understand why the students would like the course plan to be changed.

Summing up, the students should definitely be given an ear and their suggestions and interests must be considered when planning courses only after confirming that their suggestions come out of genuine interest and do not affect the course plan, making it give uneven knowledge to students in that field of study.

_________________________________________

Your first paragraph is essentially a rearticulation of the content of the prompt: you agree with the given claim and you agree with it for the given reason. You don’t really add anything to the reason and you don’t critically evaluate the reason. In short, the first paragraph will not count for much.

So remember when answering a prompt like this that you do need to explicitly evaluate both the claim and the reason offered in support of the claim. The essay as a whole does not really do that. In the second paragraph, you do claim that acting on students’ suggestions may mean “there would not be an equal distribution of knowledge.” That phrase probably does not precisely communicate what you want to communicate (presumably you mean something like “students would not get a comprehensive education”) but the larger problem is that you don’t specifically identify the problem with the original claim that you are implicitly critiquing here. You need to be as specific as possible: “I disagree with the claim because it would threaten the integrity of courses that aim to provide a comprehensive treatment of a topic. Such comprehensive treatment is more important than pandering to the uninformed interests of students. And so on.”

Your evaluation of the reason offered in support of the claim also needs to be explicit. That will entail considering, or at least acknowledging that one ought to consider, whether there are other ways to motivate students to learn; whether students can be taught in such a way that they acquire interest in topics that initially were of little interest to them; whether students’ being motivated to learn is a good enough reason to take into account the interests and suggestions of students.

Submitted by: shree_2012

About shree_2012