Mother Tongue - With A Free Essay Review

In the world, all people who speak English as their second language face problems with stereotypes. In “Mother Tongue” by Amy Tan she discusses her mother’s own life, and how she coped with her mother’s broken English. Tan was an ashamed of her mother because her poor English, but latter on she became proud of her mother. Also, Tan want her mother’s opinions of her writhing as she became an adult. “Mother Tongue” explains the importance of language in people’s lives, but language can influence how people treat others.

In the article “Mother Tongue”, Amy Tan is the daughter of immigrants, who she becomes a writer. Amy Tan talked about her love and fascination of language, and how language can effect in her everyday life, and her image. She shares a story about her life as a child of a mother that does not speak perfect English. She talked about her in front of people using knowledge of correct grammar that she has learned throughout school, and books that reminds her conversation with her mom. For example, tan says, “Not waste of money that way (Tan 143).” They were talking about price of furniture, and she find out different type of English she is using with her mom. Tan also express the love of mother, and how she is intelligent. She says that, “she reads the Forbes report, listens to Wall street Week, converses daily with stockbroker, reads all of Shirley MacLaine’s books with ease-all kinds o things I can’t begin to understand (Tan 143).” One way she prides her mother doing all this work together. People at the stores, and at banks not able to understand her mother, and never take her seriously. Tan says, “But to me, my mother’s English is perfectly clear, perfectly natural. It’s my mother tongue (Tan 143).” However, tan ashamed of her mother’s broken English because Tan believed that her English reflected the quality of what she had to say. Tan is upset about the way her mother speaks. Also, she blamed her mother getting it low scores in the English subject rather than the math, and science.

People stereotype other people who don’t speak English very well. For example, Amy’s mother was stereotypes so “she used to have me call people on the phone to pretend I was she. In this guise, I was forced to ask for information or even to plain and yell at people who had been rude to her (Tan 144).” Tan mother speak imperfectly English that doesn’t means her thought were imperfect. One of the main points of the story was that the words are more than just words; sometimes people have to look behind them, and read in between to understand the true meaning, but the points, and ideas her mother was trying to get across are really were important. Some people take advantage of her just because her English isn't perfect, but Amy says when I listen to her English, I can perfectly understand what she is saying. It's not broken, it's just different. It just sounds different because she has a different way of thinking, because she's use to thinking in terms of the Asian language.

Growing up in the household with no English, or limited English it’s effect the children to getting their awareness, and knowledge.

___________________________

I’m afraid I don’t really know what you wanted to achieve here. The essay seems to be just a summary of a few points in Tan’s essay, and not a reflection on the value or truth of the ideas in that essay. Your essay, therefore, doesn’t have its own critical argument to make, and so ends up looking more like a list than an essay.

The other problem is the large number of language errors. Purdue’s Writing website is very helpful for those who want to undertake a systematic revision of English grammar and mechanics (http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/1/).

Errors in your own sentences are understandable, but the cardinal sin of essay writing is an error in a quotation, and since “to plain and yell” only makes sense if we take the old meaning of “plain” as“complain,” I’m guessing there is an error in that quotation.

Submitted by: patelp

About patelp