GRE Argument Essay: WCQP In Rockville - With A Free Essay Review

Two years ago, radio station WCQP in Rockville decided to increase the number of call-in advice programs that it broadcast; since that time, its share of the radio audience in the Rockville listening area has increased significantly. Given WCQP's recent success with call-in advice programming, and citing a nationwide survey indicating that many radio listeners are quite interested in such programs, the station manager of KICK in Medway recommends that KICK include more call-in advice programs in an attempt to gain a larger audience share in its listening area.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The station manager of KICK radio station in Medway recommends to include more voice-in advice programs as this increased the number of listeners of WCQP radio station in Rockville. The author of this argument has cited the fact that the nationwide survey indicates that many radio listeners are interested in voice-in advice programs. However, a few questions need to be answered before arriving at the conclusion of including more voice-in advice programs in KICK radio station.

First, the author has stated that there was an increase in number of listeners in Rockville area to this radio station since the time of including more voice in advice programs. However, author has not stated any information regarding other radio channels in the Rockville listening area. We would want to know if any other popular radio channel in the Rockville area had shut down their station recently due to some problem, which has turned the listeners to other channels which lead to increase in radio audience for this channel. If there was a shut down of some other radio channel in the area, then we cannot conclude that the increase in number of listeners is because of including voice-in advice programs. If there was no such radio channel shut down, then the increase in number of listeners may be due to people liking call-in advice programs.

Secondly, author has cited the results from a nationwide survey indicating that many radio listeners are interested in call-in advice programs. We need figures for the number of radio listeners in the nation and how many of them like such programs. We cannot conclude from the word "many" the ratio of number of listeners who like such programs to total number of radio listeners in the nation. Besides, the survey has been taken nationwide and we do not know how many listeners like such programs in different parts of the nation. May be there are many listeners in Rockville, or other parts of the nation, who like call-in advice programs and may be there are very few radio listeners who like such programs in Medway. If there are not many listeners in Medway who like call-in advice programs, then the conclusion that there will be an increase in listeners to KICK channel after including more of such programs would be wrong. On the other hand, if there are many listeners in Medway area who like such programs, then including more call-in advice programs is worth an attempt to increase the audience of KICK channel.

Including more call-in advice programs to KICK channel seems a reasonable recommendation to increase the audience of KICK channel at the first glance of the argument as the author has cited the survey report and shown Rockville as an example. But above questions need to be answered to conclude that including such programs has a chance of increasing the number of listeners to this channel.

______________________________

The first question you identify concerns whether any other popular radio channel in the area had shut down. I see what you are getting at here, and the point is reasonable, but that is a very specific question, and I think you should begin with the more general question of which this specific question would be an instance; i.e., something like “Are there any other events or circumstances that may have contributed to WCQP’s success?” You can then give the possibility of another radio station closing as one possible such event. Starting with the general form of the question in this way, and then giving specific examples that demonstrate the relevance of the question, would allow you to generate a more complete, and less idiosyncratic argument.

The next question you identify is a little more difficult for me to spot, which I think is unfortunate. Perhaps it is “What percentage of radio listeners like call-in radio shows?” I’m not sure that would be a very helpful question to ask. You are right, of course, to point out that the word “many” is too imprecise, and to point out that tastes may change from area to area. But you don’t explain how the answer to that question would help. Perhaps you could argue that if the percentage of listeners who like call-in shows is very high, then it might be reasonable to suppose that there is nothing different about Medway, but you would probably want to go on, anyway, and as you do, to inquire about the actual number of listeners in the Medway area who like such shows. That latter argument is clearer, but it seems to make consideration of the national survey redundant.

Submitted by: shree_2012

About shree_2012