Your First College Experience - With A Free Essay Review

My first college experience was not a pleasant one. Having dropped out of high school in the tenth grade only to start working two jobs was not at all the future I had expected for myself. I realized it was going to take me going back to school to get my life back on track. I received my GED in 2001. I was living in Indianapolis,Indiana at the time so I enrolled at Ivy Tech Community College. Unfocused and insecure, I just about failed out of all my classes at least the ones I did not drop first. This was a rather unpleasant time in my life and after several attempts I gave up on college and went back to the labor force. Work as a Wal-Mart cashier, gas station attendant, manager at Goodwill…etc. But in my heart I still wanted more. I knew I was capable of so much more. It was during this time in my life that I became pregnant with my beautiful son. I realized that this little life growing inside of me deserved the best life that I could possibly give him. Even if that meant I was going to have to cut ties with his father and accomplish things that I didn’t ever think I was capable of doing. In 2006 when I was three months pregnant I moved the North Caroline to be near my older sister and mother. On December 12, 2007 my handsome son was born and my life changed forever. As soon as I was able I began taking classes at my local community college, CCCC. In 2009 I received my C.N.A. certification through CCCC and the very next day began working as a nurse’s aide. Not long after I received my medication aid certification and began passing medications in an Alzheimer’s unit. It was during this time I decided I was going to pursue nursing. While still working full-time I began taking the prerequisites required to get into the RN program at CCCC. I completed all the required nursing prerequisites without failing out of any classes. I was accepted into CCCC’s A.D.N program in the fall of 2011. However, in my second semester I did not make it through. Which bring me to where I am now, enrolled in your study skills class and working feverishly this summer to bring up my GPA. Take heart this is not the end of my story. I am not giving up that easy. I will bring up my GPA and if all goes well I look forward to beginning the LPN to RN program this coming fall at CCCC. I have to agree with Kevin Mimms from this week’s video assignment in that “failure and setbacks are the ultimate experiences to learn”. Although, my first college experience was not a pleasant one, my last will most definitely be.

__________________________________________

This essay is about how you got to where you are now in college, covering many experiences over many years, so if you really intended instead to write an essay about your first college experience, I think you need to reconsider your approach. There are only one or two sentences here that reflect on that experience. You say that you failed many classes because you were “unfocused and insecure,” but really that is about all. The story you tell is interesting enough, and it’s possible that that is all your instructor is interested in (i.e., your ability to tell an interesting story) but if you’ve been given an essay to write on your first college experience in a “Study Skills” class, it might be more appropriate to reflect more thoroughly on what actually happened your first time in college in terms, for example, of the nature of your endeavors as a student. If you want to keep the story of your whole college career, however, and want to write it under the current title, then you need to find a way of relating your first college experience to your later experiences (e.g., perhaps you learned something valuable the first time around and plan to put the lesson to work today).

Submitted by: mariethefree

About mariethefree