Universities Should Require Every Student To Take A Variety Of Courses Outside The Student's Field Of Study - With A Free Essay Review

Prompt: “Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student's field of study. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.”

It is good to take up courses other than one's own field of study as this helps in getting a diversified knowledge. But the claim that universities should make that a requirement is absurd and not agreeable for the following reasons. First, if universities make it a requirement that every student should take a variety of courses outside their field of study, the students would do it just because they have to and they would not show much interest in these courses and that would be a failure.

Universities should not make this a requirement but give students an option to take up variety of other courses based on their interest. If a student is interested in taking other courses than the student's own field of study and if the student thinks that handling both would not be a problem, then that student should be encouraged by university to take other courses based on their interest. So this should be optional since most average students would be able to only cover their field of study and score well in that and if they are required to study courses other that their field of study, they might not be able to handle both.

Further, if the students are required to take variety of other courses, this might gradually make them lose their interest in these courses and also in their own field of study as they have other courses to study in addition to theirs. Hence this might make the students not come up very successful in their own field of study. Hence it should not be a requirement that students should take up other courses and it should be up to the students to take up other courses or not, based on their interest.

________________________________

Your first argument is too vague (what does “that would be a failure” mean exactly?) and not necessarily true, although it might be true of some students.

The second paragraph is written clearly enough, but unfortunately it is irrelevant. You are not being asked to come up with an alternative recommendation to the claim you have been asked to evaluate.

The argument of the final paragraph is relevant, but the claim is insufficiently explained. Specifically, you would need to explain why having to take courses outside one’s field of study would cause one to lose interest in one’s own field of study. The idea that the policy, if adopted, might have a negative impact on a student’s success in her or his own field of study is itself reasonable, but the more obvious possible cause of such an eventuality would be the reduction in the amount of time the student can devote to that field of study.

Finally, you don’t meet the requirement that you should “address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.” It is crucial that you do this.

Submitted by: shree_2012

About shree_2012