Educational Institutions Have A Responsibility To Dissuade Students From Pursuing Fields Of Study In Which They Are Unlikely To Succeed - With A Free Essay Review

According to the given statement educational institutions should dissuade students from studying fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed. But as far as my opinion is concerned, students should not be dissuaded. Unless the students take up a particular area of study, they will not apprehend if they are going to be successful in that particular field or not.

The area or the field they want to study should completely depend on their likings and interest rather than being affected by others’ persuasion. It is the individual interest which leads the person to achieve success. Teachers are the mentors, who guide them properly, but dissuading them from studying something just because they think that that it won’t bring success is not acceptable. Without studying a particular area, the person is unable to know what else can be done in that area. Presumptions of failure , without actually being aware about it, is inane.

If the educational institutions restrict students from choosing certain fields and allowing only certain of them, this would affect the all round development of the country also. The areas which may be, at present, less developed and the students are coaxed from not studying them, in the future too, there will be no chance of development. As a result this will hamper the development also.

For instance, the authors or the writer’s profession in our country is generally not much appreciated by parents at many houses. But there are students who are much interested and even good at it. So discouraging them from their interest would bring in no good result. There are areas which are less developed and needs more focus and attention. If the students are encouraged for that particular field , if they are interested, then that would bring in success.

Success doesn’t mean achieving something which everyone else is also running for. But it means achieving something which you actually want to attain out of your personal interest.

Thus I would sum, educational institutions rather than dissuading students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed, should encourage them to pursue what they wish to by their proper resources and guidance.

______________________________________

Your essay seems to be based largely on a misinterpretation of the prompt. You seem to find the idea that an educational institution might dissuade a student from pursuing a particular field of study objectionable because one cannot know whether someone will succeed until they have enrolled in the course of study and tried it out, and because what a student studies just should be based on what they are interested in. The first argument is largely beside the point, but we’ll get to that in a moment. The second argument is not irrelevant, but it needs to be supported by something other than mere assertion.

Your next argument is that there would be negative consequences for a society that implements the original recommendation. This argument is difficult to follow (it is worded poorly) but you seem to be saying that in certain underdeveloped fields of study, one should not dissuade any students from pursuing such study. The example you offer in support of this claim is not very compelling because it seems to be based on the assumption that the recommendation would result in students who are interested and good in a subject being dissuaded from pursuing it. You conclude this argument by saying that if students are interested, they will succeed. But you merely assert this, without offering any reasons why someone should think that what you have asserted is true.

Let’s go back now to your first argument. But first let’s note that the recommendation only concerns students who are unlikely to succeed. You argue that we cannot know whether students are likely to succeed are not. But the prompt does not encourage you to address that issue. It encourages you rather to address the issue of whether educational institutions have a responsibility to discourage students from pursuing a course of study in which they are in fact unlikely to succeed. The prompt presupposes that in some cases students who are unlikely to succeed can be identified. That’s not an unreasonable presupposition (it’s the presupposition that informs every admissions office that takes GRE scores seriously, for instance!), but whether it is reasonable or not is not the question to be decided here. (You can note in passing, if you wish, that you question the idea of being able to identify students unlikely to succeed, but noting that won’t mean that you have answered the prompt.)

If you use Google or Baidu to look up other versions of answers to this prompt, and my reviews of them, you will get an idea of what the prompt is really asking you to think about. Here, I will just briefly note two questions you need to think about:

1) What are the consequences or costs involved when a student pursues a course of study in which she or he is unlikely to succeed? (Think of consequences for the student, but also for the institution and for society).

2) Whose responsibility is it to avoid those costs or consequences?

Submitted by: abhi

About abhi