GRE Issue 51: Young People Should Be Encouraged To Pursue Long-term, Realistic Goals - With A Free Essay Review

PROMPT: “Young people should be encouraged to pursue long-term, realistic goals rather than seek immediate fame and recognition. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.”

The statement claims that young people should be encouraged to pursue long-term, realistic goals rather than seek immediate fame and recognition. It is true that youngsters should be far-sighted and have some long-term goals for the purpose of motivating them to work hard. However, in some cases, young people should be encouraged to seek immediate fame and recognition. On the one hand, it will surely increase their confidence. On the other hand, sometimes, only when young people seek this fame or recognition, do they have more chances to pursue long-term goals.

Compared to immediate fame and recognition, long-term and realistic goals are more likely to keep young adults having ambition no matter when they are in trouble or lose heart. Lee Myung-bak, the president of South Korea, is an excellent example of this point. He dreamed of being the president at the age of five. Although his family was very poor and Lee Myung-bak lived a tough life, he did not lose hope but took great pains to study and work. Finally, after overcoming numerous difficulties, he was elected as the president. Lee Myung-bak recalled that the reason why he did not give up even though he was occasionally depressed and spiritless is that he had a long-term goal. Therefore, pursuing long-term and realistic goal, unlike immediate fame and recognition, could make people persistent and ambitious.

In addition, sometimes, if young people pay too much attention to seeking immediate fame, once they complete these goals, they would become indulged in the reputation they receive and lose the motivation to move forward, which is detrimental to their further development.

In contrast to the statement, young people should be encouraged to seek immediate fame and recognition under some circumstances largely because they can hardly achieve long-term and realistic goals unless they have fame and recognition of public. Take athletes for example. Large amounts of athletes seek for a gold medal at the Olympics. Without enough fame and recognition, they have few chances to be admitted to take part in Olympics by their nations since no fame means no competitiveness of this athlete to some extent. So, for the sake of participating in Olympic Games, numerous athletes should win the games and seek immediate fame and recognition.

Also, if young people can handle fame properly, receiving fame and recognition is likely to increase their self-confidence. The path to the long-term, realistic goals may be long and winding, which could lead some people to lose enthusiasm. However, when obtaining fame or recognition, people are expected to think they have abilities to achieve the long-term goals and have positive attitude toward future.

In conclusion, young people should be encouraged to pursue long-term, realistic goals since these goals would drive them to work hard for a long time. However, pursuing immediate fame and recognition might also have positive influence on youngsters who are striving for long-term goals.

_____________________________________

Realistic goals are goals we can reasonably expect to achieve if we apply ourself to their pursuit with some dedication. They are the everyday goals. The goal of becoming president is not really a good example of a realistic goal, since the chances of becoming president, even if one is exceptionally talented, will always be small. Your argument is that ambition is easier to maintain if one’s goals are realistic and long term. You don’t explain why that is (again, you give an example of someone who pursued a long-term goal, but you don’t give a general explanation of why having long-term, realistic goals allows one to remain ambitious or motivated.

Your second argument is that if someone achieves immediate fame, they may lose their motivation. In this case, you do provide a reason, saying “they would become indulged in the reputation they receive,” but the meaning of that statement is not very clear.

The argument of the next paragraph is also articulated poorly: “no fame means no competitiveness of this athlete to some extent.” I have a sense of what you are saying in that paragraph, but it is a vague sense.

Finally, your last argument is clearer (although “expected” is the wrong word; perhaps it should be “inclined.”) but seems a little at odds with your first argument. Specifically, you claim that having a long-term goal could lead some people to lose enthusiasm, whereas earlier you claim that having a long-term goal could help people maintain ambition. Of course having long-term goals might cause different people to react differently, and you could resolve your difficulty by acknowledging that fact explicitly (you seem to be claiming implicitly, in any case, that what one should encourage a person to do should depend on the character of the person).

Submitted by: hahaxiao66

About hahaxiao66