Gre Issue 103 - The Best Ideas Arise From A Passionate Interest In Commonplace Things. - With A Free Essay Review

Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement above and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how those considerations shape your position.

The world we are living has provided us with a plenty of things to study. The past decades have seen a great improvement of our modern living. We are able to search information immediately through our mobile phones or iPad everywhere. It is just because we have the need to gather information that the relative products are made. Thus, the ideas that benefit our common life arise from a passionate interest in commonplace things. However, when it comes to other areas, like academic science or arts, things may not be that easy.

We have been living in a world with rapid scientific change. All the inventors and company leaders are sparing no efforts to develop new products and inventions, fearing of falling off the track and being abandoned by modernized people. From the long development of people's science and culture, most ideas came out with a passionate interest in commonplace things. At the beginning of human development, ideas were based on the basic need of living. For example, people feel cold in winter and thus clothes were invented. And with time passing by and everyone was able to be presented with clothes, the color and style of the clothes became people's pursuit. During this time, the best ideas often arose from a passionate interest in clothes and beauty. Only a person with deep research on clothes and color match would be able to launch a new style and get a position in the drastic competition with other clothes makers.

Human cultural development is a process of the pursuit for new ideas in commonplace things, but there are some certain areas that best ideas must be provided with more complicated knowledge. In the field of science, the basic theory like numerical calculating ,data analyzing and so on, these are fundamental elements for the development of scientific research. However, the complicated ideas like time travel or the origin of lives require a full understanding of traditional physics or biology and the mention of a new idea surely comes out from a passionate interest in a subject that has a small number of people interested. Also, in the field of art, the ideas are often far from average people. Like Vincent Van Gogh, his painting could not be understood by his contemporaries in that his drawing skills go against the common values of people in that age.

Actually, the definition of the best idea is hard to give. What kind of ideas are best ideas? An idea that benefits all the people? Or just something that is beneficial to a certain field of study? Even if it can be defined, the source of a good idea is not restrained to the passionate interest of commonplace things. A case often happens that when we are doing something irrelevant or even dreaming , a good idea just come into our mind without any prescience, it is just the sixth sense dominating our thoughts. Although this may seem a little ridiculous, it happens to a lot of writers when thinking of what to write.

It is true that our common world provides us with a numerous sources of ideas, but that is not the only source of the best ideas. A best idea needs the right time and an appropriate environment.

________________________________

You base your first argument (“the ideas that benefit our common life arise from a passionate interest in commonplace things”) on the prior claim that “products [such as smartphones and ipads] are made” “because we have the need to gather information.” It is not clear by what logical development you get from “the need to gather information” as a cause of technological innovation to “a passionate interest in commonplace things” as a cause of “ideas that benefit our common life.” You need some intermediate steps explaining, for instance, how the Apple engineers have a deep interest in commonplace hunger for information and communication or something like that. I’m not sure, however, that even then it would be an especially compelling argument.

The third paragraph does not solve the problem. First you claim that companies develop products because they fear losing market share. Then you assert that ideas come about as a result of a passionate interest in commonplace things. Those are two different claims (that doesn’t mean they are incompatible, but it does mean the one doesn’t help to prove the other). There is also a difference between “passionate interest in commonplace things” and “basic need of living” and it’s not immediately clear to me whether you are insisting on that difference or ignoring it. The last sentence of the paragraph adds to the confusion because it is not clear how what you say there relates to your evaluation of the original claim.

In your fourth paragraph you seem to be confusing “interest in commonplace things” with “interest in things people commonly understand.” It is arguable, of course, that much of modern science comes from a passionate interest in unusual or exceptional things, though I suspect that those interested in the theory of time travel have a passionate interest in time, which you could argue is a commonplace thing, even if no one actually understands what it is. Similarly, one could argue that Van Gogh has a passionate interest in commonplace things: flowers, shoes, stars, and so on.

Submitted by: clark9966

About clark9966