Scandals Are Useful Because They Focus Our Attention On Problems - With A Free Essay Review

Prompt: "Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position."

A scandal is the most recent tool to attract public attention to various problems. However, the purposes of creating scandals differ considerably. While some scandals really touch upon public issues, others serve goals of certain individuals and groups. As a result, scandals are not always useful for a society and sometimes do not solve any problem. Besides, many public figures and politicians have really succeeded in drawing people’s attention to major problems. Consequently, the claim that scandals are the only way to attract public notice is disputable.

Without a doubt, many scandals are very useful for public because they are followed by investigations, arrests, and other immediate actions of governments. Although people know about the existence of some problems, in most cases they are ignored as people cannot fully realize all threats. By creating scandals, the media get more people informed of public issues. For example, a recent scandal in China regarding dairy products that were contaminated by chemicals led to the ban of importing such products from China in many countries. As a result, many people in different countries have eluded dire consequences.

However, not all scandals are as useful as they seem. For instance, scandals that disclose the sexual intercourse of politicians are widely spread. The purpose of those scandals is to put an end to political and business rivals. Besides, scandals are very popular in show business as it is a perfect way to boost the popularity of superstars. Their producers make up different stories to increases the awareness of public of their charges. Such scandals are useful only for exact individuals and groups not for public. Moreover, those scandals as well as scandals concerning priests with their pants lowered do not have any effects on the acute problems of prostitution, pedophilia, and homosexuality as those scandals are never followed by radical measures. They are enjoyable spectacles which the media use in order to increase the number of readers. In addition, the history of humankind has perpetuated the names of outstanding public figures and politicians who did a lot to draw people’s notice to challenges. Martin Luther King is considered to be one of those people as he managed to bring up the problem of black people.

In conclusion, many scandals really help reveal a lot of problems. If people and the media did not create such scandals, it would lead to horrible consequences. However, some scandals are padded by the media and certain individuals in order to pursue their goals. Taking into account the artificiality of some scandals and the merit of many prominent people in focusing public attention to major problems, the statement is completely wrong.

____________________________________

I don't think that you devote enough attention here to the implicit claim of the prompt that scandals are more efficacious than reformers at drawing public attention to problems. You deal with the possible efficacy of reformers in this respect only fleetingly.

You also don't respond explicitly to the instruction to "address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position." To do that you need to establish early in the essay a clear position, explain and elaborate it, and then anticipate possible objections to that position, and explain why the objections are flawed. Start by writing a thesis statement that is specific. Instead of "the claim that scandals are the only way to attract public notice is disputable," write "I disagree with the claim that scandals are the only way to attract public notice because ..." But you should also write a thesis statement that actually responds to the prompt, which in this case does not concern your views on whether scandals are the only way to attract public notice, but your views on whether scandals are useful because they draw attention in a way that reformers cannot. The difference between the two may seem small, but it is not insignificant.

Two additional notes:

1. Devote each paragraph to a single topic (at the end of the paragraph devoted to the claim that "not all scandals are as useful as they seem," you introduce a new topic; i.e., there have been effective reformers).

2. Be wary of disrespecting those who grade you, as you possibly do when you refer to homosexuality as an acute problem. The chances of your essay being read by a prostitute or a pedophile are probably low; the chances of it being read by a homosexual are not negligible, and the chances of it being read by someone who finds the idea that homsexuality is a problem objectionable are high.

Submitted by: koshelev2000

About koshelev2000