A Nation Should Require All Of Its Students To Study The Same National Curriculum - With A Free Essay Review

PROMPT: "A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college." Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.

A national curriculum as we know is an agenda for teaching and learning in schools. A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college. Curriculum at schools is the base where strong foundation is made for future development in their area of interest. So before studying any specialization course students should have clear generic view of what are all the various fields. This generic view given to the students nation-wide should be same and contain all major areas of study because it would be beneficial when they are looking forwards to move to colleges other located outside their hometown. Besides that, following a national curriculum would be helpful for children of parents who have a peripatetic job.

Following a same national curriculum is advantageous both to the colleges as well as students. On the side of the colleges they can base their entrance exams on this curriculum which would be easier when compared to looking at each state, what are the subjects taught at the high schools and all those. .Nation can conduct an entrance exam for the universities based on this curriculum. It would be easy to assess the entire students based on one test. So the student from any place can get into any good college with a common ranking system based on the test score.

Though making the students study same national curriculum has its advantages as mentioned, the curriculum should have high standards to do so. The curriculum should include a wide range of subjects like English, Science and Math, Technology, History, Geography, Art, Music, a modern foreign language and physical education. It should list the factual knowledge and analytical skill required by the students at each age. The curriculum should sets standards for each subject, outlining targets that children should be encouraged to achieve. Additionally, it should have the assessment methods that are used to measure children’s progress. The National Curriculum should include cross-curriculum dimensions, designed to help students cope with contemporary challenges that they may come across in life. Teachers should be encouraged to include these in their everyday lessons. Cross curriculum dimensions are something like community participation, creativity, critical thinking, healthy lifestyles and global development.

Furthermore, the common national curriculum should be designed in such a way that they do not require specific text books or teaching methods. For example the British Curriculum does not list the books; instead the curriculum says students should read “a range of fiction, poetry, literary nonfiction and drama, including pre-20th century literature”. So any national curriculum designed should be flexible so that the institutions can alter them and find best methods to teach to their students.

So provided the national curriculum is so rich and beneficial it can be enforced by a nation that all students should study the same curriculum until they enter college.

_____________________________

The first part of the essay (the first two paragraphs) concerns itself with elucidating specific advantages of having a national curriculum. The rest prescribes the nature of a good national curriculum. The first part responds to the prompt; the second part does not. You are being asked to discuss whether a national curriculum should exist for primary and secondary schools. You are not being asked to describe the ideal features of such a curriculum. The last three paragraphs as they currently stand would therefore likely not contribute much to the score this essay would receive in an actual test. One could argue that a national curriculum would only be a good idea if it had the appropriate features, and on that basis, legitimately introduce your ideas about what such appropriate features are. Even in that case, however, I would suggest limiting your remarks on that topic to a single paragraph in order to further develop the complexity of your argument about the reasons for having a national curriculum. One good way to do that would be to think about, as the prompt suggests, possible disadvantages of having a national curriculum in certain circumstances.

Submitted by: LakshmiRam

About LakshmiRam