Educational Institutions GRE Essay - With A Free Essay Review

Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed. Write a response in which you discuss to the extent you agree or disagree with the statement and explain the reason for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

Educational institutions are to provide quality education, assess the studentsí performances and thereby they recognize where they are lacking behind. Later on they take up the responsibility to guide them where they need to improve and what support can be provided by the institution. This is the actual role of any institution. Dissuading the students in the fields where they are unlikely to succeed is far from their responsibilities because any studentís actual capacity cannot be known just by the marks they score or their performance at assessments. So they cannot judge clearly whether the student can succeed or not. Secondly, Universities are nowadays conducting a lot of entrance exams and screening interviews where they actually judge if a student can succeed in the course or not. Consider if a student is rejected by one university he doesnít totally stop trying in the career, he just moves to another university or try writing the exam again next year. So this shows the studentsí perseverance and also even if the educational institutions dissuade by rejecting, the students are not going to heed to those. Finally in the dynamically changing world it is difficult to say which a lucrative career is. Any course you pursue may be at a boom when you join and by the time you complete the course the requirements may go down.

Today the institutions are mainly based on ranking or grading system, with regular assessments and loads of works to be done at home. Many students get bored of this kind of work. Creative students wonít have interest in doing monotonous assignments; they need more challenging works. When they donít perform well on those tests, immediately they are graded low and considered not fit for the course. But actually those students might be more talented than the ĎAí grade students. So in these cases, the institutions do not judge the actual talents of the student and this may lead them to misguide the students. Consider Thomas Alwa Edison, he was student who kept dreaming in the classes and his teacher thought he was abnormal. But then he invented the first bulb lighting the whole world. So it is clear that educational institutions should not dissuade students from any career because they might not have judged the student properly.

Coming to the next point, even if the institutions dissuade a student from pursuing a particular field, considering it as unsuccessful for a student, say a person who trembles on seeing blood cannot become a doctor. But if the student has more perseverance he is not going to hear. He will try to break any hurdles to succeed in what he is interested. So, it is a waste of cost trying to dissuade them. Thatís why I told about the entrance tests and interviews. Primarily the purpose of those tests was to find out if the student has ability to succeed in the course. But later on those tests itself became a grading tool. People scoring more get into good colleges. So even if a student scores low, he doesnít leave the field, he just hunts where he could find an opportunity to do his wish. At last if he doesnít get by his scores, he pays money. So there is no use of judging the studentís capability to proceed through a course and succeed.

Finally the success of any career keeps changing. Few decades ago people must have thought banking is the most lucrative career. Anyone speaking about microprocessors and nanotechnology must have been considered stupid. But now, it is the hottest field. Now institutions are guiding towards placements in MNCs and Masters abroad. After a few decades this might change where all IT people are left with no job. So the institutions canít determine which the most successful field is or which is unsuccessful. So itís better they donít take the responsibility of guiding the students.

So I would like conclude that it is better for the institution to keep away from dissuading the students from pursuing any course which is unsuccessful because of the above stated reasons. Institutions cannot determine which would be a lucrative career or if it would be actually suitable for the student. And finally whatever they guide itís the studentís decision whether to take it up or not. And in most of the cases they donít.

______________________________

This essay does not quite respond to the prompt appropriately. The prompt claims that educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade those students who are unlikely to succeed. You argue first that they are unable to ascertain the likelihood of success. But the question assumes that it is possible to identify students who are unlikely to succeed and asks, in that case, what is the institutionís responsibility. Now you may well want to argue that because there is always some uncertainty, institutions should not dissuade students. Note, however, that you don't need to argue that there is always some uncertainty, since that too is assumed in the prompt, insofar as "unlikely to succeed" does not mean "certain to fail." What you do need to do, however, is explain why the possibility that a student who is unlikely to succeed might succeed anyway despite the odds is a more important consideration than all other considerations that are relevant for an institution deciding whether to dissuade a particular student from pursuing a particular course of study. Your essay, however, does not address any of these considerations, and I don't think it can be an adequate response to the prompt without doing so. I think you ought to address those other considerations instead of addressing issues whose relevance to evaluating the claim in the prompt in unclear, which is the case in the final two body paragraphs of the essay.

For instance, the argument that universities cannot in fact dissuade students is tangential to the main point. Again, the prompt presupposes that institutions have the ability to dissuade students; the question is really about whether they have the responsibility.

So what are the other considerations. To answer that, you need to think about the consequences to the university, to the student, and to society that ensue when students who are in fact unlikely to succeed are not dissuaded from doing so. You might complicate your position in this respect by arguing that it is a student's responsibility and not a university's responsibility (for instance, if the student is paying for his own education). Or you might argue that a university has a responsibility to inform, but not dissuade.

Submitted by: LakshmiRam

About LakshmiRam