Governments Must Ensure That Their Major Cities Receive The Financial Support They Need In Order To Thrive - With A Free Essay Review

Claim: Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive. Reason: It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reason on which that claim is based.

A city is a prominent centre of trade, banking, innovation and markets. A city serves as the representative of the whole state or the nation. There is a need for funding to improve transport, housing, water facilities and so on at the basic level. And at higher levels, we need funding to improve nuclear power plants, modern communication aids, encourage new scientific researches which would serve the country at its best. So any city needs financial support from Government for all those reasons and not because the nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated primarily in the cities. This is because cities are the hub of people from various places, so there are various cultural traditions surpassing the nation's own. Culture traditions are preserved in the rural areas and well described by the historical monuments, museums and old libraries and the Government must provide funding to preserve them for the future generations.

Nowadays the information technology is growing at a very high rate and multi-national companies are spreading everywhere.80% of the students study for a job in big MNCs. These MNCs being located mostly at the major cities bring people from various corners of the world to work together. So the work environment is made of different cultured people. As they mingle, each person's own culture gets disturbed. By culture we mainly refer to the language, food, dressing, religions and festivals. People start speaking languages other their mother tongue because they need to communicate with those people from other regions. Its not bad that we are learning new language but, it has gone to the extent that many people don’t want to read or write in their mother tongue. Next comes the food and dressing, people always have a love for the exotic dishes and dresses. Even that has went to the extreme where they wear their traditional dresses only on occasions. For example, India's traditional dresses are sarees and 'kadhar'dhothies which was worn by Gandhiji. Now if you roam around major cities like Chennai, Bengaluru you can hardly find people wearing those. Traditional Indian Thalis have also been overridden by the fast food corners and pizza corners. Religions are also not a big issue these days. There are many inter-caste marriages, inter-country marriages and so on. People speaking different languages marry and they adopt a common language English and their child adopts English as the mother tongue. Regarding festivals major cities in America celebrate Diwali and those in India celebrate Halloween. So, we celebrate all festivals from all places. Of course that is a welcome in case of festivals but not in the others. As the number of migrants increase every major city is becoming a "salad bowl rather than a melting pot". So it is clear that cultural traditions are definitely neither preserved nor generated in the major cities.

Cultural traditions are followed by the people in the rural areas where they are still unaffected. They speak their mother tongue, eat their authentic food and wear hand woven dresses. So, the Government should provide financial support to the rural areas to improve their traditional jobs like weaving, sculpturing, spinning, hand embroidery and increase the export of those items.

There are many historical monuments describing the cultural traditions in a better way. Taj Mahal in Agra, Charminar in Hyderabad, Buland Darwaza in Fatepur Sikri and the list goes on. Government should provide funding for the maintenance of these monuments and improve tourism, get people involved in tourism by increasing the stipend for tourist guides. This would help not only to preserve those monuments but also educate the younger generation and spread those over the world.

National Museum, New Delhi, today, has in its possession over 2,00,000 works of exquisite art, both of Indian and Foreign origin covering more than 5,000 years of our cultural heritage. The Gandhi Memorial Museum is a museum located in New Delhi, showcasing the life and principles of Mahatma Gandhi.There are numerous valuable museums in India, Government should take steps to attract more visitors to those museums.

So I would like to conclude that in order to preserve and generate the nation's cultural traditions, Government must provide funds to support the rural areas, maintain the historical monuments and improve the museums rather than cities. Major cities do require financial support to improve on globalization aspects and not on preserving cultural traditions.

__________________________________

Let's begin with the claim with which you conclude your second paragraph: "So it is clear that cultural traditions are definitely neither preserved nor generated in the major cities."

Although it is a long and detailed paragraph that ends in this conclusion, the conclusion is not justified by the paragraph. What you've actually demonstrated, rather, is that there is a coming together of different peoples and so of different values and traditions, in major cities. That might mean that one set of cultural traditions is altered or destroyed but it doesn't mean that new cultural traditions are not generated. Might one not argue that it is precisely where persons of different backgrounds come together that new traditions can be generated?

Your next paragraph suggests that cultural traditions are followed in rural areas. You then claim that, as a consequence, the government should provide financial support to the rural areas to help maintain (if that is what you mean) traditional jobs. If you want to make that argument, you need an intermediate claim establishing the need for aid ("These cultural traditions are under threat because...") and then you need a conclusion to the paragraph that relates the paragraph specifically to the prompt.

Finally, your last two body paragraphs (about monuments and museums) might have appeared in a different essay arguing the opposite of what you argue here. That is, someone might have argued that major cities preserve traditions by monumentalizing them and putting cultural artefacts in museums.

Submitted by: LakshmiRam

About LakshmiRam