Life Lessons Of Romeo & Juliet

Romeo and Juliet can teach us many life lessons, but lessons in books cannot change your life unless you are willing to make the change. Romeo and Juliet can teach us three life lessons. The first lesson is: Don’t make rash decisions. The second lesson is: Think through decisions. The third lesson is: Young love or infatuation is not a good reason to kill yourself.

The first life lesson in Romeo & Juliet is that you should not make rash, quick decisions; rash decisions usually only lead to trouble. An example of this is when Romeo wants to kill himself because he is banished from Verona for killing Tybalt: "then banished, / Is death mis-term'd: calling death banishment, / Thou cutt'st my head off with a golden axe, / And smilest upon the stroke that murders me."

The next lesson in Romeo and Juliet is that we should consider possible repercussions and outcomes. Throughout the play Romeo and Juliet, many characters make decisions that are obviously not thought through, such as when the Friar gives Juliet the vial that contains the drug to put her in a death-like coma. He does not anticipate that Romeo will not receive the letter that says Juliet is in a coma and not dead. This miscommunication causes the death of three people.

The third lesson is that suicide should not be an option for dealing with the problems of young love. Romeo and Juliet’s love is really infatuation. True love takes time to build. Romeo and Juliet only knew each other for five days, which is not enough time for anyone to fall in love. It’s a nice plot for a play, but not for real life. After Romeo kills himself with poison, Juliet kills herself with a dagger: "This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die." This is not the best answer to her problems.

Romeo and Juliet can teach us many valuable life lessons. The lessons in Romeo and Juliet are mainly that you should not make rash decisions, that you should think through most decisions, and that young love does not justify suicide. My argument is that life lessons can be learned through reading, but the life lessons learned must be applied to a person’s life to get anything out of the lessons learned.

Promoted Comments from EssayJudge Users:

1. Charlie writes: I like this essay but I think it maybe overlooks the most obvious life lesson in Romeo and Juliet. The Capulets and the Montagues hate each other, and their hatred has become ingrained. It is not really rational. Instead it is just the attitude that they have learned to have towards each other. And they don’t really question it. The play shows that there may be evil consequences to not thinking about your relations to others. There may be unfortunate consequences to holding mindless grudges. Romeo and Juliet are called “sacrifices of our enmity” by Capulet at the end of the play. And the prince tells Capulet and Montague that “a scourge is laid upon your hate” which means that the death of Romeo and Juliet is a punishment for the sin of mutual hatred. The prince also says “all our punished” even the prince himself for ignoring the “discords” between the two families. If the young lovers are “sacrifices of our enmity” as Capulet says, that means, I think, that Capulet and Monatgue have sacrificed the ones they love (their children) for the sake of their mutual enmity. But perhaps it could also suggest that Justice sacrifices the young lovers to teach the fueding families a lesson. In religious terms the lesson is “love your neighbor” or at least “don’t hate your neighbor.”

2. Olga writes: The author says that there are three life lessons, but the first two (don’t make rash decisions, and think through decisions) --those are really the same lesson. The third lesson (don’t kill yourself over love) is a good lesson, but it’s not obvious from the essay HOW the play Romeo and Juliet teaches that lesson. If you want to write an essay about how the play teaches that lesson, then you need to show how the play or characters in the play view the death of Romeo and Juliet as misguided, or as a waste, or as tragic.
Submitted by: Shadow591

Moderator
+26

No mean comments please.

If you find something helpful here please click the Like Button

and upvote good comments or Pay it Forward by leaving a good comment!

Thanks.
May,02 2011

Kristine
+2

Its a good essay but the grammer needs work alittle e.g. "is, should"
and you should have anothers point of veiw be it throgh one of the charactors or anothers oppoion of romeo and juliet. your right about changes in life can only be made by oneself and if you were banished from the place or person you love or care for the most you too would have your moments of doubt and depression. but over all a nice essay
June,09 2009

Tata69
+1

I mean no one is worth taking your life for. There is more opposite sexes that are close to the one you think you want to die for.
May,22 2009

Write4life25
+1

I agree with charles, you should definetely touch on how many different lessons are present, not only in Romeo and Juilet, but in any of shakespeare's plays. Also, I find the first/intro paragraph very bland, if you want to catch the readers attention, you might want to think that paragraph over. overall, good job, though!!!
August,23 2009

Tommy
+1

You need to comment on other's essays before anyone is going to help you with this.
April,18 2009

Charles
+1

I'm not sure what your scholastic level is, but I think perhaps this essay is a poor attempt at analyzing 'Romeo and Juliet.' If you are looking for a scholarly review, I would start with your grammar. For example; I am sure that you intended to use the word 'repercussions' not 'reproductions' in paragraph 3. Secondly the idea that this play can ONLY provide 3 lessons would be ridiculous and represent an amateur level of understanding. Thirdly, but most surely not the end of my thoughts (the end for this review), the idea that 'rash decisions,' and to not 'think through decisions' would be different in any way, would suggest that perhaps you should look up your definitions before documenting them in words you dont know how to use would be useful.
May,13 2009