How To Adopt A Dog - With A Free Essay Review

(Process Essay)

Adopting a dog is a huge responsibility, but it is as well an amazingly enjoyable, pleasing experience. To be successful in such an undertaking one has to take account some significant factors; the type of dog you want, Is that type of dog suitable for your lifestyle, where can you adopt that dog, how are the health conditions of the dog, and what necessary equipment need buying. When adopting a dog, preparation is crucial, yet beneficial.

Firstly; before adopting, consider which type of dog you want. Do you want an energetic dog that will go out jogging as much as you do, or a guard dog that will guard the house when you’re gone, or a playful dog for the kids? There are many types of dogs that have various attributes. Research the different types of dogs and narrow your choices. Although knowing which type of dog you want may seem unnecessary, researching before adopting can widened your knowledge which will make you more confident in your choices.

Now that you have narrowed your choice, define your lifestyle and living conditions. Then apply them to your adopted dog’s lifestyle and living conditions. Some examples, living in an apartment may limit certain types of dogs. Does your living location have allergies that your adopted dog is prone to? Can you adjust your work or school hours to provide the necessary attention that your dog needs? Do you feel you are able to control a dominating dog? You want to take all possible factors of your lifestyle that may interfere and/or assist your dog’s lifestyle; Dogs stress out in destructive and depressing ways if it feels incapable of coping with the owner’s lifestyle.

Once you have acknowledged and prepared the first couple factors, find an animal adoption center. There are many places to go when adopting a dog, like your local animal shelter, newspaper ads, the internet, or certain originations like “Let’s Adopt”; a global animal rescue and pet adoption organization. The average adoption fees can range from $75-$250 (depending where you live). I strongly recommend your local adoption center since you’ll be able to personally ask important question; was the dog stray or surrendered; any health concerns that may require additional treatment, bad teeth, age, heart worm, etc.? The adoption process shouldn’t be rushed, but don’t over think it. You must be sure and aware of the commitment you are about to make.

After you have adopted the appropriate (lucky dog!) get a health check from the veterinarian. If the adoption center doesn’t provide a free first visit to the veterinarian (they usually do provide a visit), or if you’re feeling unsure of the health condition that your dog may be in, then it is absolutely necessary to get a checkup. Not every adoption center notifies the potential new owner of the health condition of your adopting dog (it is also recommended that you take your dog for an annual examination to the veterinary clinic).

Finally, when it is time for your lucky dog’s arrival, buy necessary equipment. There are various items of equipment that will be needed for your dog, as well as many optional items that can be considered. It is best to first buy the essential items of equipment: buy two feeding bowls: buy a comfortable durable collar with your dog’s name and your living location: buy the correct brand of dog food which will provide the correct nutrients. Optional but very helpful, dog treats reinforce the special bond between you and your dog, and are a good way to reinforce positive behavior. Treats are also a definite help during training.

Altogether, with you and your new companion, no matter where and how you adopted him, no matter what your first intentions were about of adopting him, it all comes down to being honest, caring, and loving. In addition, you’ll soon learn the importance of companionship and the enjoyment it brings. The day you are feeling lonely, in doubt, unhappy, or even insecure; your only one truly devoted companion, whose smiles at you with a wagging tail, will sick by your side.

__________________________________________

A good process essay should tell me how to go about doing something in a very clear and precise way. It should give me the information I need to do that thing instead of leaving it up the me to do the research needed to get that information. How would you feel, for instance, if you asked someone what dog food you should get and the person replied with this: "Buy the correct brand of brand of dog food which will provide the correct nutrients." I suspect you would feel that you knew that already, and that your question really remains unanswered.

The advice you give throughout your essay tends to be of that kind. It is generally vague rather than specific. Sometimes, to be sure, the advice is a useful reminder of the things a prospective dog adopter should be thinking about, but I don’t think that is enough. Take this question, for example: "Does your living location have allergies that your adopted dog is prone to?" (Note that that's an odd way of putting the question because it presupposes that the dog is already chosen and adopted, at which point it's too late to be worrying about allergens [not allergies].) The problem with a question like this is that it only tells me to think about whether there are substances in my home or neighborhood (isn't that a nicer way of saying "living location"?) that might be bothersome to a dog. That is indeed a useful reminder about something I might not have thought of on my own. But telling me what particular substances I should be looking out for would be really telling me something I didn't know and would save me the trouble of going to find a different essay instead of continuing to read yours!

I think generally, then, there are a few too many questions that serve as general reminders and a little too little actionable information in the essay. I have a dog, so I've a good idea what you mean when you speak of taking "all possible factors of your lifestyle ..." into account [note that you skipped those last two crucial words, and there are a number of other needless errors in the essay, so do proofread]. But that is still very vague advice. Here's an example of concrete, actionable advice, in case you're not clear what I'm talking about:

"Do not choose to adopt a work dog (a shepherd or a collie, say) if you cannot give such a dog the extensive exercise that it needs."

Two additional notes.

I mentioned in passing the need to proofread, but let me mention it again, because no one wants a dog who "will sick" by their side.

And don't use semi-colons for any reason other than splicing independent clauses or the complex elements of a list (e.g., just put a comma after "firstly"). You can introduce a list with a (full) colon, as you do in your penultimate paragraph ("It is best to buy ... essential items ... : ). But change the other colons in that sentence into semi-colons. Note, however, that you cannot introduce a list with a semi-colon, as you do in your second sentence.

Submitted by: NasH91write

Atomic
+2

Hello, Nas. Your essay contains a number of run-on sentences and errors. The essay is pretty focused but could be strengthened by a stronger thesis, eliminating personal pronouns and more sophisticated essay. Best of luck.
April,26 2012

Atomic
+2

Word choice, not essay, sorry about that.
April,26 2012