It Is Easy To Welcome Innovations And Accept New Ideas. GRE Issue Essay - With A Free Essay Review

It Is Easy To Welcome Innovations And Accept New Ideas. What Most People Find Difficult, however, Is Accepting The Ways These New Ideas Are Put Into Practice.

Anything that makes a situation better or improved or more refined can be termed to be an innovation. Constructing a bridge over a railway track, introducing a hybrid crop variety, ensuring that new born babies get certain immunizations are all innovations and new ideas. The main purpose is to make the recipient get better off relative to times prior to the innovation. It is one thing to develop new ideas, and it is another thing for them to be accepted. Only accepted and implemented innovations are successful.

Most people are already accustomed to a certain way of doing things, and thus quite complaisant with them. For them to adjust to new ways, it in turn means certain efforts must be put in place to enlighten them and give them room to adjust to these changes.

Imagine a peasant farmer who has always cultivated his crops with crude and rudimentary implements. Being used to such, it doesn't feel like stress. Introducing the use of a tractor might sound worrisome to him, for certain reasons. He considers the technical know-how of using one, the cost of acquiring and maintaining it and also the cost benefit analysis of a tractor on small farmland. These are constraints to this idea. Thus to overcome it, the farmer needs to be enlightened on how to handle a tractor, be given a subsidy to ease purchasing one, or told to merge with neighbouring farmers to buy and use it. This would make him accept the idea and be predisposed to putting it to practice.

Hence, introduction of innovations need to be accompanied by efforts to tackle a modification of attitudes, teaching the technicality, and general benefits associated with the idea, so as to make them feasible and laudable.

__________________________________________________

It seems to me that you are aiming in this essay to offer a solution to a problem (a problem that exists if we assume the proposition is correct) whereas you ought to aim to discuss and analyse the proposition itself. That's a bit difficult to do, more difficult than it is when one is faced with many of the other prompts of this kind, because the proposition is very general (it's a bad prompt really, in my view) and so it is difficult to come up with obvious examples of ideas that are easy to accept as such, but whose implementation is difficult to accept; the prompt doesn't give us any clues, for instance, about the ways in which ideas are implemented. I would be surprised to learn that the ETS actually uses this prompt in real tests.

If we keep things at a very general level, without resorting immediately to an example, then we might identify the following as things that might be difficult to accept with respect to the implementation of new ideas:

1. New ideas supplant old ideas with which we might be comfortable.

2. When implemented, new ideas can impact both those who accept them and those who do not.

3. Implementation might involve sacrifice.

4. Implementation might involve coercion.

5. Implementation might reveal that the ideas are only good in theory, not in practice.

6. Implementation might involve bureaucratic systems of management that might distort the original idea, or impose unusual burdens on society.

7. Ideas are abstract and timeless, but implementation is concrete and historical and so messy and unpredictable..

These are the first things that came into my head, so the list could probably be much improved and much extended. Still, I think the implied problem with the basic conflict between ideas and their implementation should now be more or less clear: when we take ideas out of the realm of abstract thought and put them to work in the real world, we tend to find that there are all kinds of messy things going on the real world that tend to interfere with the smooth and painless implementation of those ideas. Your essay arrives implicitly at a related, but more specific, claim by way of your example. That's a good way to proceed, because examples in these essays are crucial, but they might (especially if you only have one) limit the scope of the essay's actually engagement with the implications of the proposition.

This is essentially what happens in your essay. Your discussion of the problems that implementing new ideas might have is limited to the specific problems that implementing a specific idea might have. I think you find it difficult (understandably difficult) to get back from the specific example to a broader analysis of the proposition as a whole and instead you fill out your essay with stuff that is not actually responsive to the prompt. The prompt for instance doesn't ask you how one might go about solving the problem, but your essay ultimately focuses on that question.

I think you ought to try to refrain from answering questions that are not asked and from offering information that is not essential to the analysis of the proposition (even the first paragraph would not really be necessary in an essay focused just on analysis). Instead, try to come up with a broader analysis of the proposition, preferably an analysis based on more than one example. I grant, again, it's not that easy for this prompt. Perhaps you need to be thinking here of grand ideas that have gone wrong or that had serious difficulties: Communism, but also privatization and free markets in post-Communist Russia; A free Jewish nation; Releasing the energy of the atom; Unified Germany; Private health care in the U.S.; the War on Drugs; the War on Terror; and so on.

Finally, for these kinds of essays, it is also crucial to try to think of counterexamples. Again, not so easy in this case, but surely there must have been many ideas that were difficult to accept, but whose implementation was relatively painless. I'm aware of some peculiar cases (e.g., doctors once resisted the idea that they needed to wash their hands vigorously before surgery) but there are also a few more obvious ones for which the idea was once more resisted in principle than in practice: the idea that women should be educated; the idea that women should be pastors or doctors of soldier; the idea of universal suffrage; abolition of the death penalty; legalization of divorce.

Submitted by: shawler

About shawler