Educational Institutions Have A Responsibility To Dissuade Students -- With A Free Essay Review

Educational Institutions Have A Responsibility To Dissuade Students From Pursuing Fields Of Study In Which They Are Unlikely To Succeed.

Gone are the days when the number of options for a student was limited and he/she had to evolve expertise on topics of other content. In today's world, there are a million courses available to choose and the student is left confused and sometimes even perplexed about choosing the most prospective among the lot. And for this reason, the educational institutions were knighted with the job of counseling the students to choose the best out of the available choices. Entrusted with the crucial responsibility of guiding the student through a labyrinth of courses, the institutions find themselves a refugee's ensconce against the impending storms of Future and Career.

There is a broad opinion among the people across the world that certain fields of study do not reap profit comparable to that the other fields afford. It is true, but there are exceptions. Mixed with a magical factor called Luck, many students might hit the jackpot even by taking up courses that have never been heard of before.

But it is the duty of the educational institution to assay the capabilities of its students through the several tests it conducts in its academic year and then decide what is best for that student. Of course, the student must be given an opportunity to choose the career. However, if the career opted by the student defies his/her capacity, it is better to make him/her understand the difficulties that would confront him/her.

During the counseling, every course must be elaborated and each entity in it must be elucidated piece-meal. Only then will the student be able to realize the crux of the course and what it demands. This might prompt them to make an alternate choice or, if they think they have the tenacity to perform well, they might resolutely stick to their choice.

In order to exercise this responsibility bestowed on them, the institutions must be prescient of the changing trends and the demands of the professions in the global market. Nothing remains static and nothing can be done to keep things static. People change and technology changes every day. With the change, the institutions must be bold enough to speak out to its students about what is right and what is wrong for them, keeping in mind, their interests, their potential and their frugal constraints.

Thus, it all lies in how the educational institutions approach the problem and handle the situation adeptly without giving a malign impression on the students' mind.

______________________________________________________

1. Keep your language simple. "Evolve" is the wrong word, and I suspect you chose it in preference to a word that was fine but not sexy enough. Words don't need to be exciting for these essay, they just need to be precise. This is especially the case in the first sentence, because if your reader cannot understand exactly what you are saying in the first sentence, then your reader has become an enemy, one liable to give you less and less latitude with every error or awkward phrase enountered ("available to choose"; "the most prospective"; "knighted with the job"; "a refugee's ensconce"; and so on). So keep your language simple, especially in the first sentence, but also throughout. The point here is not to demonstrate your command of purple prose, but to demonstrate the analytical character of your brain, and when the attempt to demonstrate the first interferes with the demonstration of the second, it must be abandoned. From a pragmatic point of view, the florid stuff also wastes time, which is not good strategy for a time-constrained test. You take much too long here to get to the point. By the end of the first paragraph, for instance, you still have not made a specific argument related to the proposition in the prompt.

2. So make sure you write in clear language, but also make sure what you write is relevant and concise instead of prolix and tangential. Your second paragraph doesn't say much more than "It is difficult to profit from some fields of study, but some students may do so with luck," which is not enough content to hang a paragraph on, and the point is also largely irrelevant. The proposition is about whether students unlikely to succeed in certain fields of study by virtue of their ability should be dissuaded from pursuing those fields of study. It is presupposed that other more capable students are more likely to succeed. Think of the student who is poor at math but wants to be an astrophysicist, or the student who cannot write a sentence but wants to be a poet. Succeeding in a field of study doesn't mean profiting from one's studies, it just means being able to manage the coursework, as you go on to acknowledge.

3. So your third paragraph is where your essay begins to engage with the issue (which of course is leaving things much too late). In this paragraph you make a clear and specific claim: If a student is believed to be unlikely to succeed "it is better to make him/her understand the difficulties that would confront him/her [him/her is awkward; you can avoid it by using the plural]." If you want to revise this essay, I would recommend starting with this sentence (deleting everything that comes before it and most, I'm sorry to say, of what comes after it). For at this point all of the work that needs to be done to respond to the prompt is yet to be done, and the rest of the essay doesn't do it. You need to specify your reasons for making that claim. Then you need to justify those reasons and defend them against possible objections. Writing about how a university might go about meeting its responsibility is beside the point. What you want to do is explain why it has that responsibility. Begin the process by completing the following: Educational institutions should try to dissuade students who are unlikely to succeed in their chosen fields of study from pursuing those fields of studies because X.

4. What is X? Well, that's what you’re being asked to determine. It might be that you think unsuccessful students waste time and money at university (both their own and that of others). You might think that they might interfere with the education of other capable students. You might think that they will become a burden on society instead of a contributor to society. And so on. But remember that you also need to think about counterarguments and the extent to which they might have some validity. Some might argue, for instance, that a university will have met its responsibility to the student if it merely lets the student know its view of that student’s likelihood of success and that it is ultimately the student's responsibility to decide what to do. Or it might be argued that the university should have a strict entrance examination for each field of study or some other means of weeding out students unlikely to succeed, which would make the process of dissuading students irrelevant. Remember, in other words, that these essay prompts are specifically designed to encourage a nuanced approach to the topic, one that takes both sides (they are designed to have more than side) of the argument into account.

Submitted by: Additya

About Additya