Who Is Reponsible For Solving Climate Change, Government Or People? - With A Free Essay Review

It is my firm belief that is requires a joint effort of government and its citizens to put a stop on global warming.

First, the state must educate its people about the drastic effects of climate change. Individuals must be aware of their actions and its consequences. The state must laid rules to prevent people from harming our environment. For Example, the local council in Muntinlupa has implemented the banning of plastics and styofoam. Paper bags are encouraged.

Second, most of the problems are caused by human actions. the continuous use of private cars has emitted enormous amount of carbon dioxide which depletes the outermost layer of the atmosphere. They must refrain or limit the use of automobiles to lessen the pollution problem.

Finally, most of the climate changes are due to the growth of industries. These have created a lot of pollution such as air, water and land. They have been disposing their garbage on the rivers and emitting harmful gases on the atmosphere.

Citing in my own experience, I limit the use of air-conditioner at home because it is one of the contributors of global warming. Individuals in their own little ways can help save the earth.

Therefore, the government cannot take the sole responsibility of solving the problem but it needs the continuous effort from its citizens as well. The people must have an environment friendly attitude to have a green and healthy place to live.

___________________________________

In order to suggest that the government is responsible for solving global warming, you say that "the state must educate ..." Note that this assertion about what the state "must" do, however, is only an assertion; it is not an argument. It is not an argument because it doesn't not explain why the state has this responsibility. The same kind of problem affects your argument that people too are responsible for solving climate change.

You seem to be arguing that because people do things that contribute to climate change (such as driving cars or using air conditioning), it follows that they are responsible for solving the problem. That argument could be based on the claim that those who cause the problem are responsible for solving it from an ethical point of view, or it could be based on the claim that only those who cause the problem are in a position to solve it. But you don't identify your particular reason for thinking that people are responsible for solving the problem. You need to do that.

In your next paragraph, you say that climate change is "due to the growth of industries," but you don't come to any conclusion in this paragraph about the responsibility of industries for solving the problem. Remember the question in your title asks about who is responsible for solving the problem, not who is responsible for causing it. You might say that doesn't matter; that the two questions are related. Fine. But then actually say that in your essay. If your point about industries, however, is to demonstrate that people generally aren't in a position to do anything about industrial pollution, and that indicates the need for government regulatory action, then make that argument explicit. Never rely on your reader to understand the point you are making in the absence of your explicitly making that point! Readers aren't that clever; they will not know what you are getting at; and will, if they're grading you, give you no points for implicit arguments.

You then have a brief paragraph about your limited use of air-conditioning, and end that paragraph with the claim that "individuals in their own little ways can help save the earth." Aside from the fact that the claim is probably not true (individuals acting in their own little ways will not solve the problem because the number of people who will actually voluntarily do that is depressingly small), the point of the claim in the context of your overall argument is not clear. You might here think it is important to stress that people can have a positive impact because, if that were not the case, then there would be little point in claiming that people are responsible. But if that is your reason for claiming that "individuals ... CAN help," then clarify that point.

Ultimately, I think you need to clarify for yourself what you understand the question to be asking. The question put in the title is not really a very good question to ask because it leaves the question of what criteria ought to be used to decide "who is responsible" unspecified. When faced with that kind of question, then, you, the writer, need to decide what those criteria are. Another reason the question is difficult is that it seems to require a bit of information about climate change that one might not have unless one undertook a fair bit of research.

So, disliking the prompt, I googled some terms from your title and found this slightly better-worded prompt:

“Scientists and news media are presenting ever more evidence of climate change. Governments cannot be expected to solve this problem. It is the responsibility of individuals to change their lifestyle to prevent further damage. What are your views?”

If that is the actual prompt to which you were responding, then I suggest more strongly that you reconsider your approach. This is a very different question. It's asking you to think about whether governments CAN be expected to solve the problem. That leaves a lot of room for possible argument of a kind that doesn't appear in your essay. For instance, one could argue that the government should try to solve the problem but that we cannot rely on them to solve the problem. Or one could argue that only serious government action on a global scale will be able to solve the problem. And so on.

Upshot: 1) Make sure you are responding to the right question; and 2) Make sure you are actually answering that question.

Submitted by: nic.sy

About nic.sy