How To Mark Up A Book - With A Free Essay Review

Books are integral ingredient for a quality and long lasting knowledge. It is a compilation of all facts, principles and laws designed to be inculcated in human brain. Through effective reading, information that books offer will solely permeate in our hearts and minds.

Purchasing a book is just an initial step of ownership. It canít be considered as your own unless effective reading will seal the path. A central metaphor of this is when you buy snacks or any food. That will not become part of your body unless you consume it. It must be a part of your bloodstream. This is a kind of reading that involves highlighting important principles, concepts and laws thatís worth remembering for. In either way, this is the essence of marking up a book. This is such a privilege to heartedly decipher what weíre truly trying to learn. This must also involve an author to reader conversation. It is done through posing a question to ourselves concerning the opinion weíve formulated.

Someone may oppose that it takes a lot of time making colorful marks, however the laborious task is very rewarding. Principles we learned will be stored as long term memory.

We can say that books must be treated as our own brothers and sisters. It is the key for our success and healthy well-being. It is as well the door to many opportunities. Itís a great tool for achieving our utmost potential.

If someone may borrow with your marked up book you must have the courage to refuse them. Just bravely tell them to purchase that same book. Itís not easy to share with your laborious task as easy as that. You can lend your iphone not just that book.

__________________________

I think there's a good essay to be written on marking up a book, but yours is not quite there yet. You talk a bit here about what a book is, albeit indirectly, with the aid of many figures: a book is food, itís brothers and sisters, it's a key, and also the door, and of course a tool. You might be overdoing the metaphors a bit. But at least you are saying something about the book. But you donít really say very much about marking up a book. You do claim that highlighting important principles, concepts and laws will mean that these principles "will be stored as long term memory," which is at least one judgement of the efficacy of highlighting, if perhaps a slightly optimistic one. But that is really all you say specifically about highlighting, so it is difficult for me to see exactly what you want me to think about the nature and purpose of the practice. That's all the more important in my case because I don't highlight books in this way, although I do take notes, because I think highlighting makes books ugly and readers relatively lazy. Readers, I would speculate, are inclined to say of a given passage, "this is important; let me highlight it." And once they've highlighted it, then they think their job as a reader is done. You do understand that reading is a more intensive activity than that; it entails for you, and rightly, "posing a question to ourselves concerning the opinion we've formulated.Ē But since you don't link this questioning mode of reading to the highlighting mode of reading, my objection to highlighting perhaps still stands.

It seems to me that there is a slight imbalance between, on the one hand, your several reflections on the nature of books and your respect for books (which is neatly captured in your conclusion), and, on the other hand, the complete dearth of reflection on the practice of highlighting. And ultimately I don't think the essay keeps the titular promise; you don't really tell us, that is, how to mark up a book.

Iím afraid thatís all I have to say about your essay, but I have one other thing to say about highlighting, which is that it ruins the experience of reading a book. A book worthy of the name (obviously Iím not talking about text books here) cannot be highlighted because a book worthy of the name is not made up of highlights and lowlights; it is, ideally, one thing. Highlighting is a way of reducing a book to soundbites, whereas reading ought to be a way of enlarging a book.

Submitted by: ecursomp

About ecursomp