Farm Animal Abuse - With A Free Essay Review

M Lyman Period 7/8 SRP First Page Draft

Now, more than ever, Earth is a planet of meat eaters. Most families consume meat of some kind at least once a day, if not more. For most of these families, the concept of where this meat came from before it entered their mouths is completely unknown and in some cases, ignored. A rapidly growing population of meat-eaters has caused a drastic increase in the demand for meat. Because of this high demand, meat packers are put in an impossible position, caught between doing what is right for the animals and doing what will allow themselves to achieve a substantial income. Needless to say, the rights of the animals have been disregarded. This blatant violation of rights comes in the form of factory farms, operations used purely for the systematic slaughter of mass groups of animals. Factory farms are completely inhumane operations. The consumption of less meat will reduce the pressure on meat packers to send out as much meat as possible, abolish factory farms, and therefore improve the quality of the lives of animals in a major way.

The current rate of meat consumption is shockingly high. In 2007, global meat consumption was estimated to be at about 284 million tons and in 2015, this number is expected to increase to an estimated 300 million tons. With China in the lead for highest consumer of meat, closely followed by the United States and Europe, the number of animals slaughtered per year is horrifying (Meat Trade News Daily). Statistics show that 10 billion animals are slaughtered per year in the United States alone. 2 million pigs are killed every week in the United States, and a shocking 12 billion per week in China. 40 billion chickens are murdered per year worldwide (Animalethics.org). These figures are increasing more and more as societies continue to evolve. Accompanying this change is the unofficial agreement between nations to ignore the problems that face us today - one of these problems being the cruelty in meat consumption. As this problem continues to be ignored, the animal holocaust continues. Change is necessary, beginning with the elimination of factory farming.

Factory Farm Conditions

Factory farming is defined as “a system of rearing livestock using intensive methods, by which poultry, pigs, or cattle are confined indoors under strictly controlled conditions” (Dictionary.com). What goes on inside these buildings in appalling. "If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian," claims Paul McCartney (QTD Vegan-Nutritionista.com). The primary concern with these operations is not the welfare of the animals, but rather the money to time ratio. Factory farms aim to send out as many products as possible in a given time period, reaching this goal at any cost. As a direct result, the quality of the lives of the animals subject to such operations continues to decrease at an alarming rate. Cows, chickens, pigs, sheep, and fish are forced to withstand harsher conditions, more intense drugs, and smaller living spaces. As expected, these conditions result in mutations, deformities, and diseases among the livestock kept in captivity.

With money being the main importance of factory farms, it comes as no surprise that housing in these facilities is less than ideal. The animals are made to live in a very controlled indoor environment, never seeing the light of day. Along with this, the animals are crammed into cages, preventing a lot of movement. The more animals living in one cage the better. After all, "chickens are cheap; cages are expensive” (Rollins, Peta.org). The close confinement makes for a stressful environment for the animals. Along with these cramped housing conditions, the animals are often held with physical restraints, to prevent any unnecessary movement. This prevents proper interaction between animals and causes them to act out, often killing or injuring one another. Imprisoned animals are neglected, often left to live in their own manure or surrounded by corpses, with untreated and infected wounds. (Belsandia.com). The cruel confinement of the livestock is only one of the ways factory farms jeopardize the health of its prisoners.

The close and uniform confinement of animals held in factory farms presents the perfect breeding ground for viruses and contagious diseases. In addition to this, the animals are fed substances that are a far cry from what their bodies are naturally designed to digest. These substances could hardly be called food, for they contain parts of other dead animals and other waste such as plastic, metals, toxins, and other chemicals. The animals are treated as live garbage disposals, an easy way to dispose of the human waste generated at the “farms.” This and other conditions in the factories cause lethal diseases among the imprisoned animals. These diseases include respiratory diseases from high levels of ammonia and toxic gases or digestive and liver problems. Rather than treat the animals for these diseases, factory workers ignore them, claiming that veterinary care is too costly (Belsandia.com). So through close confinement, these diseases are spread easily, facing little to no resistance.

Perhaps the worst and most barbaric abuse of them all is the drug and hormone use within the factory farms. As mentioned previously, money is all that these organizations seem to care about. So, naturally, the animals are doped up on drugs in order to maximize sales and guarantee income. They are given growth hormones and other pills to stimulate growth and speed up reproduction. Some medication is even intended to keep the animals alive in conditions that would otherwise kill them. These medications may speed up food production, but at a terrible price. The drugs generally create mutations in the animals, causing physical deformities that are often genetic (Belsandia.com). The growth hormones even take their toll on the poor animals. More often than not their bodies begin to swell so big that they lose the ability to support themselves and are left immobile, awaiting the day they are slaughtered.

The events that occur inside these factory farms are an obvious violation to the rights of animals. If a household pet were to be treated in this way, the owner would be fined and perhaps imprisoned for severe animal abuse; does the same not go for the animals held in captivity of these “farms?” The longer the public goes unaware and oblivious to what goes on inside these slaughterhouses, the longer animals will be forced to endure this inhumane abuse. No creature should be allowed this kind of lifestyle. Abolishing factory farms in the only way to go.

Solution

Most families cannot even imagine a full meal without a serving of meat on their plate. Society has somehow taken the idea of meat and twisted it into something that it is not. Meat has been associated with making men strong and helping children grow. It is true that meat is a good source of protein and protein is necessary in the human diet, but only in moderation. Meat is now seen as a person’s primary, if not only, source of protein when in fact, there are other foods out there that can provide protein. Protein is actually very easy to come by in a vegetarian diet, represented in the forms of beans, eggs, nuts, and a lot of vegetables. To get enough protein in your diet, all that a person really needs to do is eat a reasonable variety of foods containing protein and get enough calories to meet that person’s energy needs. These foods rich in protein can include vegetables, grains, legumes, seeds, and nuts. Meat should actually only be consumed about once or twice a week. People need to start taking advantage of the vegetarian foods offered in restaurants and other public places and take the necessary to stopping this animal holocaust.

By reducing the overall global meat consumption, factory farms will have no more reason to exist. The inhumane slaughter of and horrid lifestyle forced upon these animals will come to a stop. By acknowledging this problem and taking the necessary action to solve it, humanity is one step closer to becoming reunited with nature, hindering the advancement of the destruction of our world. All that is required of people, is that they begin to reduce their overall meat consumption, little by little. This really is a small price to pay for the animals that have already lived through generations of torture simply to feed the population. Doing this will give the rights back to the animals, providing a better life all around.

__________________________________________

The writing here is reasonably sophisticated, but the research is very poor, and the essay is one-sided.

A one-sided essay is not a tendentious essay, but one that fails to acknowledge what someone with a different viewpoint would claim. Acknowledging and defeating opposing views makes for a stronger essay than simply ignoring opposing views. Finding opposing views would be a matter only of doing a little research: look at what the meat industry claims about its practices and the government regulations that it is bound by law (if not always effectively so bound) to submit to. Representatives will claim, I have no doubt, that animals are kept in conditions that are humane. It is better to include reference to those claims in your essay than to ignore them.

The problems with the research undertaken so far are these: 1) You have insufficient evidence to support the claims that you make; 2) some of the sources that you cite are inappropriate.

Concerning the first point, if you want to argue, for example, that conditions are worsening in factory farms, then you should probably cite some evidence to support that. Instead of just saying that there are "more intense drugs," identify specific new drugs that are used and explain why they are "more intense," a phrase that on its own is all but meaningless. Instead of just saying that animals are subject to "smaller living spaces," describe the way things are in detail, and compare that to how they were. Provide evidence also to support your contention about mutations and diseases. Concerning the second point, try not to rely on for-profit blogs written by persons whose authority to speak on your topic is difficult to establish. Cite official documents, journals, and books written by scholars or official representatives of respected organizations.

Make sure, also, that the evidence you cite is relevant to what you want to prove. At one point you make a claim about the living conditions of animals in factory farms but cite in apparent support of that claim a statement about the impact seeing the inside of a slaughterhouse would have on meat-eaters. There's no obvious connection between the two, and since the remarks you cite don't actually reveal anything concrete about the conditions in a slaughterhouse, they would not be particularly helpful anyway for someone actually trying to figure out what goes on there. That's an odd absence from your paper, by the way. I understand that you are concerned in the first place with the living conditions of animals, but it would hardly be irrelevant, in the context of your essay as a whole, to reveal something about the conditions under which animals are killed.

Finally, a word about your solution. You say the problem can be solved by reducing meat consumption. On the one hand, it is obviously true that if people eat less meat, there will be smaller incentive to maintain the kind of factory farms that you find objectionable. So if your proposal were carried out, it might well have the desired effect. On the other hand, proposing that people eat less meat is not, on the face of it, any more of a realistic solution than proposing that the owners of factory farms just stop doing what they are doing. A solution is not a solution, in other words, unless there is some reasonable possibility of it being carried out, but your essay doesn't demonstrate how you expect your solution to be implemented. You might also consider explaining why you think it is a better solution than other possible options (e.g., lobbying for tighter regulation of the farming industry to ensure the humane treatment of animals, or campaigning in support of research into alternative modes of meat production, including [it's the future!] lab-grown meat).

P.S., I think you mistake billion for million at one point (pigs in China).
Submitted by: MadyLyman

About MadyLyman