The Well-being Of A Society Is Enhanced When Many Of Its People Question Authority - With A Free Essay Review

A country’s rules and regulations are set by a body of high officials who are nominated by the people of the country. The well being of society is maintained by these members who pledge to bear the responsibility and perform their duties while they hold tenure. However, these official many times do not fulfill their promises and it becomes crucial for the common man to question the authority for their mendacious actions. So it is right to question the power for the betterment of society.

Earlier, the country was ruled by kings and monarchs. They had the authority to set rules, follow rules and change them. The people abided by the word of the kings and none dared to question. If someone dared to, the consequences were bad. The plebeians obeyed the set rules.

Times changed. In India, the British ruled the country and changed the society according to their needs. It was then that people revolted against the inhumane acts done to them. With mass movements like the Dadi march or Swadeshi movement, they expressed their opinion. It was high time for the British people to leave the country. The people of India got independence and they could live the way they wanted, celebrate festivals and other rituals according to their beliefs. Thus raising the voice of the people helped the country to gain freedom.

In modern times when government is run by the chosen members, the people of the country follow the rules. But whenever there are illegal activities, corruption and other unlawful acts occurring, it becomes the duty of every citizen to raise his voice to seize the power and control the society. The media is the voice of the people that helps to express the opinion of the people to the government official who holds office so that it can control the lawlessness and maintain decorum in the country.

There are many instances when government officials have misused their power. These officials have been dethroned for favouritism, nepotism and corruption. It has been possible to enhance society by questioning leaders who misuse their power and do illicit activities to gain money and misuse the government funds for their own benefits. It is important to uncover the dark side of the politicians and, at the same time, bring about awareness among the people to avoid such misconduct in the future. In Punjab a leader chose all his family members and relatives to hold the offices. This was a misconduct on the part of the leader. He was dethroned from his office. So questioning authority is a way to check the officials.

It is also important that people should be aware about the corrupt people who in order to gain power make a number of promises. They promise to supply water, electricity, education, and subsidies to poor farmers. In India, it is the duty of the Panchayat to fire back the authority. When people stand against the leaders it becomes urgent for the parliament house to listen to the people and it warns them to perform and fulfill their promises.

There are many ways people can question, like fasting, submitting petitions to the high court, the supreme court, or the editor's column or newspaper. It is essential to speak for one's right.

_______________________________________________

As I mentioned in a review of another of your essays, it is important to avoid a merely one-sided approach to this type of essay. That's the kind of approach you take here. You agree unconditionally with the statement, and your essay is devoted solely to demonstrating why it is good for people to question authority. The principal argument, that it is important for people to protest against political criminality and corruption, is reasonable, but devoting so much of your essay to that topic and the example with which you justify your position results in an essay of fairly narrow scope.

So, again, as a rule of thumb, before you begin to articulate your reasons for supporting the proposition, ask: What is the best possible argument one could make against the proposition that the well-being of a society is enhanced when many of its people question authority? Why might someone (someone who places a lot of value on political stability, say) think that questioning authority might pose a threat to society? What, for instance, would the British (or did the British) think about those who questioned its authority in India in the first half of the twentieth century? To what extent were the British (or to what extent might one in general) be justified in their opposition to such questioning?

You might also find it helpful, if your hope is (as it should be) to increase the complexity of your argument further, to think about whether your agreement with the proposition depends in any way on the particular society you have in mind. You focus on the example of India before its independence and today, when it is an established democracy. Would your opinion be different if you were thinking of the early days of independence in India when, one might argue, the need for authority or unanimity might have been greater. It is easy for a society like America to withstand a questioning citizenry. Its political system as a whole (if not individual politicians) are largely immune to even hostile questioning. A questioning citizen is sometimes like a man trying to rock a boat. In America, the boat is a giant warship. But what of smaller, or newer, countries, where democracy is fragile, or where external threats are serious and many? What about a society during wartime, or generally during a time of crisis?

I don't want to suggest, however, that you should change your opinion in light of these questions, but rather that your argument, and so your essay, would be stronger if you acknowledge and responded to those types of questions.

Submitted by: Nam

About Nam