Kony 2012 - With A Free Essay Review

Kony 2012

Imagine constantly fearing of being abducted and killed. And fearing that you could lose a family member. That's what is constantly on the minds of the children in Uganda.

One day I was surfing YouTube when I came across a video called Kony 2012. Kony 2012 is a video campaign targeted to spread the word of a man named Joseph Kony. Joseph Kony is a leader of a rebel group called Lord's Resistance Army (LRA). Hundreds of children are abducted by LRA, given weapons, and forced to fight. One of the main people shown in the YouTube campaign is a Uganda child named Jacob. Jacob's brother was abducted and killed by the LRA. The director of the campaign promised Jacob that he would stop Kony.

The goal of the Youtube campaign is to stop Kony like promised to Jacob. You may be wondering how could this be achieved? Well, Kony had actually been abducting children for almost 30 years. And until now, nobody really knew about it. This is where the YouTube campaign comes in. When the video was released, in less than two days it went viral. People all over the world began to spread the word. People on Facebook and Twitter were posting, "KONY 2012." This is exactly what the video wanted people to do: shed some light on Kony. Before the Kony issue was uncovered, the U.S. government didn't really do anything to help bring Kony to justice. This is because it didn't really seem like a big enough issue to become involved in at the time. When the video viral and it started to raise awareness, the government began to take notice. It is now official that on March 24, 2012 there will be a search in South Sudan to neutralize Kony and the LRA. The search will not stop until he is found.

After watching the Kony 2012 video I felt very moved. It made me very mad at what Kony was doing to children. It feels unreal that a human could do such horrible things to other humans. It encouraged me to try and spread the word to my friends and tell them to pass it on. If we all sit here and wish that Kony will be arrested, then nothing will happen. You have to action. Make posters and distribute them throughout your city, tell your friends in person, on Facebook, Twitter, or any other social networking site. By spreading the word, you are helping those children who were abducted. If he is not stopped by the end of 2012, the window will be closed and he will continue to hurt these children. We must all participate to bring Kony to justice!

_________________________________________________

If the purpose of the essay is to convince the reader to undertake the action called for in your conclusion, then I think you need to spend less time talking about the phenomenon of the viral video campaign, and more time talking about the content of the video, the history of the LRA, and Kony's role therein. If the purpose, rather, is to examine the phenomenon of the viral video campaign, then I think the final paragraph about your being moved and our need to spread the word appears to be a distraction from accomplishing that purpose. Because you seem to be doing both things, however, the treatment of both ends up being a little superficial. I suggest focusing on and developing one part of the essay.

For what it's worth, I find the call to action part of your essay least compelling (as a piece of writing) even though I agree that wishing for Kony's arrest is pointless. One reason I don't find it very compelling, is that it is a little hackneyed, but the bigger reason is that the previous paragraph seems to suggest that the kind of action I might hope to inspire by getting involved and spreading the word is already slated to happen (or as I should now say, was slated to have happened) on 24 March 2012. But, as I say, if you want this to be a persuasive call to action, then I think you need to give your reader more historical information, and explain to your reader how her or his following your advice would actually help.

I am inclined (by nature, let's say) to find your remarks on the video campaign more interesting, but would want to see you reflect on the nature of that campaign as a social (and, perhaps, technological phenomenon). There are any number of critical questions one could ask about this campaign. What made it, and not other campaigns against injustice, "go viral"? Is this a reasonable way of reacting to the situation in Uganda? Is the video melodramatic and sensationalist in its depiction of the LRA or Kony or is it a straightforward, sober assessment of historical fact? What does the phenomenon reveal about modern society, politics, technology, and so on? You wouldn't need or be able to address all such possible questions in depth in an essay, but if you take a bash at one or two of them, your essay might have a more obvious critical purpose.

Submitted by: rocket100

About rocket100