Urbanization And Reducing Impacts Of Overpopulation - With A Free Essay Review

The rapid growth of population across countries of the world, especially in cities is causing dilemmas to both governments and citizens. In order to combat the problems, some people feel that minimizing the family size should be done by governments. However, despite the policy benefit, reducing family size could be ineffective to conquer the impacts of overpopulation in cities.

The first reason why this policy is hopeless is that overpopulation is not only caused by the size of family, but urbanization. The number of job seekers moving from rural areas to cities is increasing year by year because they believe that more jobs are available for them. Jakarta, for instance, has become one of many destinations for unemployed people to earn a living. In this circumstance, the job issue should be addressed as the solution to overcome impacts which are caused by overpopulation.

Following on from the first reason, overpopulation, for example in many Indonesian cities, is the result of citizens’ belief that having more children is a blessing. Because of this principle, parents, particularly less educated couples, prefer to have more children although they cannot afford the living cost or their daily need. So government policy to trim down the family size will face negative reaction from those parents although they are aware of the advantages of having a smaller family. Consequently, this action may be unsuccessful.

However, there is a solution for every single obstacle. The difficulty caused by overpopulation can still be reduced without diminishing the family size, which is by decreasing urbanization and or by sending the cities inhabitants to other places or islands. Urbanization can be lessened by providing more jobs in rural areas. This will reduce village dwellers’ intention to find a job in cities. On the other hand, migrating city inhabitants will lower the impacts caused by overpopulation.

In conclusion, the government’s policy to minimize family size would not work well because the action does not address the other causes of overpopulation. However, reducing urbanization by providing more jobs for villages’ population and sending cities’ citizens to other places can be a better answer to decrease overpopulation and the problems it has caused.

_________________________________

I'm not sure what assignment you are responding to here, so the point may be moot, but if you want to write an essay about how to address a problem, you would normally need to specify the nature of the problem. Why is "overpopulation" a problem for a city such as Jakarta, for instance. What is its impact. That's important to know, because if the problem is that Jakarta doesn't have the infrastructure needed to cope with the city's population, then the right solution might be to improve the infrastructure rather than try to create jobs elsewhere and then force people to move (if that is what you are suggesting). So, first, specify the nature of the problem.

If you want, next, to propose a solution to a problem, then it is usually a good idea to demonstrate that the solution is feasible. Your essay doesn't do this. You do try to demonstrate, as you should, that the proposal to address the problem by restricting family sizes is not feasible by suggesting that it doesn't solve the problem of migration and that it would meet resistance from the people. On the one hand, while those points seem reasonable, there's no good reason to think that a severely restrictive family planning regime would not in time have a significant impact on migration habits, and a sufficiently authoritarian government can probably override the objections of the people. On the other hand, if we reject something like China's one-child policy as not feasible in other places, then we implicitly acknowledge the importance of the criterion of feasibility, so it seems especially important to demonstrate the greater feasibility of the alternative proposal. Creating jobs in places where industry doesn't want to go, is notoriously difficult, and generally trying to dictate where people should live sounds like an enormously difficult task too.

Finally, you ought to demonstrate (assuming, again, compatibility with the prompt) the superiority of your proposal of other possible proposals. Again, you do try to demonstrate, at least in part, the superiority of your proposal over the suggestion of restricting family size by government decree. But that is the only alternative proposal you look at, and presumably there are many other proposal one could consider (education about the advantages of smaller families, promotion of birth control, policies that disincentivize migration or direct restrictions on migration, economic development plans within the cities [since the more educated and more affluent a population, the smaller, apparently, its population growth] and so on).

Submitted by: Marham

About Marham