The Impact Of Television On Children - With A Free Essay Review

PROMPT:Televison has brought great changes to the way many children spend their leisure time. While some of these changes have been beneficial, other have had a harmful effect. To what extent do you agree or disagree

Most children nowadays, watch television as part of their leisure time. It is found that watching television for young children has both its advantages and disadvantages. A child can learn quite a lot of useful things and entertain himself by watching television but he can also become addicted to watching television and take bad things from it.

Television offers programs which can learn the child good qualities that should be in him as he grows up. this includes educational programs and cartoons. A child can learn languages, math, to depend on himself, take actions, work harder, how to reach goals and others. For example, a cartoon I saw when I was young called captain Majid' is based on a football player named Majid where hes the captain of his team and he tries his best to get goals for his team. Other players pass the ball to him and he runs with the ball, not afraid of anyone, trusting himself and makes the right shot at the goal keeper of the other team which results in an extra goal for his team. I learned from this how to be confident in myself and how to always try hard until I reach my goal.

Television also can bring harmful effects to children. Children can learn bad words or to be violent. The child himself can also become addicted and this will prevent him from doing other important activities he should be doing. For Instance, a cartoon called tom and jerry, which I loved to watch when I was young, is very addictive, is based on a cat and mouse fight where the cat always tries to catch the mouse. In most cases the cat fails to do this, however. you learn violence from this, in confidence and inability to try to reach your goal.

In conclusion, Televison can lead to benefits or bad effects on children depending on hoe its used. Parents should restrict their children to see only programs that that can lead to better improvements in their children and their time spent on television, hoping that their children become good people who benefit their community and the world.

___________________________________________

The introductory paragraph is a bit weak. The first sentence relates a fact that everyone already knows. The second sentence merely repeats the claim of the prompt. The third sentence articulates the argument of the essay as a whole, which is a good thing to do in the introduction, but note that you conclude that sentence with a claim that is rather vague (about the fact that "a child can ... take bad things from" television). You really ought to explain here what you think the negative aspects of watching television are. You can do this is a general way (television promotes laziness or violence) but not a vague way (television promotes "bad things").

In the second paragraph you use the word "learn" incorrectly as a synonym for "teach." My kid does that too. It's cute. But it's wrong. The first sentence of the second paragraph also refers vaguely to good qualities. While the word "this" of the next sentence seems to refer logically to these good qualities that "should be in" a child as he grows up, you refer in that second sentence to programs and cartoons, which are obviously not qualities that could conceivably "be in" the growing child. The rest of the paragraph, with its little anecdote about what you learned from the Capt. Majid cartoon is reasonable enough, though a little one-sided. While it may be true that you can learn valuable lessons from cartoons, that would only lead to the conclusion that children should watch such cartoons if it were also true that there is no other way (or no better way) to learn those valuable lessons.

Your paragraph on the negative impact of television is a bit underdeveloped. You note the possibility of addiction, but base your argument about this issue only on a personal anecdote. You note the possibility of learning to be violent from television, but again there is no significant evidence to support this claim. You cite the example of Tom and Jerry, which is a great example to cite because it brings back wonderful memories. I do recall that Tom and Jerry is a rather violent cartoon, but it's not realistically violent (the violence is highly stylized). When you say "you learn violence from this," you are making a claim that has often been made, but your way of articulating the claim is a bit too vague. Do you mean to suggest that some children who watch Tom and Jerry become violent, or more violent than they might otherwise have been? If you are not claiming that, it is difficult to know what you are claiming. But if you are claiming that, then you need to try to support that claim with reason and evidence.

Submitted by: MizaExpertWriter

About MizaExpertWriter