The Truth About Lies - With A Free Essay Review, So To Speak

A particular type of dishonesty that is generally tolerated is the lie. I do not think there are men who have not lied at least once in their life. It is very common to observe how humans lie at any time. This society is based on lie; starting with the government, they lie to their people to keep them in peace, to trust them, no matter if the trust is based on lies. Today all the persons live in a competition for been accepted by others, whether it is in school, jobs or society. In general they will do whatever is possible to achieve this; including lying, no matter what the consequence are. At present, it seems that people attach little importance to conceal the truth, of bearing false witness and therefore a dishonest act is tolerated by our society. In my opinion it takes courage to tell the truth and hold it. We must maintain our values and teach our children to be honest people.

In conclusion a dishonest lying system is very hard to change, but with some effort and determination, we can help others to be honest people. This world needs honest people to make a real change in our society.

_____________________________________________________

ESSAY REVIEW?

This is not an essay, but a paragraph (with a conclusion), and we don’t review paragraphs, unless they are parts of essays, but I have a vague interest in lies, so I'm going comment briefly, and tangentially, and hopefully some of these comments will be of interest to you. I'm interested in the lie as a complex opposite of the truth. It's not the only conceivable opposite of the truth, but it is the most interesting one. It used to be that things like fiction and lies were treated as one and the same, so that it was possible for Plato, for instance, to object to poetry, in _The Republic_, for its lies about morality and the gods and death and so on. We don't do that any more because we don't think "lies" and "fiction" are the same thing (of course we still object to bad poetry). So it's worth noting, then, that the concept of the lie has changed a little with both developments in vocabulary and developments in morality. So it may be that the meaning of the word "lie" changes over time. It may be that the concept of the lie is historically determined. In that case, we (or you!) would need to be wary of absolute claims about the immorality of lies.

There are also, it is sometimes said, many different species of lie, and some people (let's call them "utilitarians") might argue that some lies are worse than others (in view of the negative consequences they bring about) and some lies are perhaps ethically justified. Is it wrong of me, for instance, to lie to the police who are knocking at my door looking for my neighbor, who is hiding in my attic? Is it wrong to lie if I know my neighbor is innocent? Is it wrong to lie if I know he is guilty of breaking the law but the law itself is unjust and the police are going to transport him to a concentration camp? Kant would disagree with the utilitarians (He wrote a critique of the "supposed right to lie") and so perhaps rat out his neighbor. You seem to be more of a Kantian than a Utilitarian, but your paragraph is not really enough for me to go on. If I were writing a review, which of course I’m not, I would suggest that you clarify that point.

You do say it takes courage to tell the truth, which makes telling the truth sound like a good thing, but obviously sometimes it can take courage also to tell a lie (e.g., about my neighbor in the attic), so does that make telling a lie a good thing. Perhaps the fact that it takes courage to do something doesn't of itself make the act right or wrong. After all, it can take courage to kill someone. And sometimes, of course, it doesn't take courage to tell the truth. People tell the truth about ordinary, inconsequential stuff every day. There is nothing courageous about saying "I'm tired" when I am in fact tired. And if my being tired also serves to get me out of an activity that requires courage (such as joining the hunt for the man-eating tiger who has been stalking my neighborhood), you might even think that telling the truth (I'm tired) in this case is the act of a coward: I should really just drink my espresso and grab my gun.

I am trying here (if you can believe me!) to illustrate the fact that the morality of lying is a pretty complicated thing. We can tease out some of these complexities by looking at examples (real or imagined), but they have to be the right kind of examples. The example of bearing false witness, for instance, is the wrong kind of example. No one in his right mind will approve of your falsely accusing your neigbor of "thought crime" to the Party because his dog pooped on your lawn. If this were a review, I would probably finish by saying: if you want to turn your paragraph into an essay, be on the look out for the kind of example that will make you want to pull your hair out as you try to figure our what's right and what's wrong.

Truthfully yours, EJ.
Submitted by: acan1972

About acan1972